Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is heating a breech plug dangerous?

Deer Nut

PMA Member
The last few times I cleaned my muzzleloader I put the breech plug in the oven to speed up the drying time and ensure all moisture is gone. Can this weaken the metal? Is this dangerous?

Doubt if the average kitchen oven would get hot enough to damage a plug. That said, A little while at 200-250 degrees f. certainly couldn't hurt. A quick rubbing alcohol rinse & some canned air is even faster though if you're in that much hurry.

I love shotgun cleaner. It's a wet cleaner that completely evaporates. Same thing as what brake cleaner is. Awesome. I do that after its scrubbed clean. Then, I finish with a can of air. Dry as dry gets. I'd think oven is fine though but I guess I shouldn't answer that as I'm not 100%.

Not an authority on the subject, but I would assume that the breech plug is tempered to withstand pretty high heat/pressure during the combustion of the powder. I bet low/medium heat would be fine.

We used to put our breech plugs on top of a hot cast iron stove to dry them out. Never had a failure. I would imagine it would take some pretty high heat to cause damage.

No problem to the breech plug at that temp but I would let it cool down before you put it back in due to expansion.

Each grade of steel has a different temp needed to change its chemical integrity. Not sure what steel a breech is made from but I have drawn metal parts back during heat treating at 400 deg. So an oven could absolutely reach a temp to make a breech brittle. I would keep it below 225 if you were using it. A safer method in my mind would be to borrow your wife's hair dryer

Top Bottom