Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is it possible?

cornfield

Hey guys and gals. I have been looking into putting some tillable ground in to some sort of govornment program. One that looks interesting is the bobwhite buffer as the program allows you to plant many different types of habitat. I was talking to a buddy of mine who said I should stay away from anything that is giving away money. They said that anytime the govornment gives money away, there will end up being a catch.
I then learned that many so called sportsmans groups such as pheasants forever and d.u. are pushing for any timber that is in timber reserve to become open to public hunting because the owner is receiving tax dollars for their ground. I was wandering if anyone else has heard such talk, and whether they agree or disagree with this. Personally, it makes me a little nervous about the whole situation. With the most recent ruling by the supreme court, I think things might get worse for landowners.

I was told once that there IS a status of tax exemption available for non pastured timbered areas. The hitch is that it is considered open for public use though still private and not posted in any manner. Can someone here confirm or disprove that? I was told this by a person who claims his property is in this situation.

If entry into the program required that the land be open to the public, I don't think much land would get enrolled. Most of the USDA programs are contractual. It would be a breach of contract on behalf of the USDA if they required the land to be open to hunting in the middle of a contract. It would have to be up front and agreed to in the initial contract.

As to forest reserve, read: Iowa Forest Reserve

Top Bottom