Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is it quiet or what

B

Bowbendr

Wow, this season is starting to drag on! The last three times out I have not heard a gobble after 7:00 AM. I spent all day last Saturday in the timber and did not hear a single gobble from 7 AM - 8 PM. That was disheartening. This morning it was quiet after seven and I left at 11. What do you guys think is going on. I have never ran in to this before. In the past I could always hear toms gobbling somewhere at different times of the day. Any more it is like a morgue out there. I sure hope it gets better because I don't see how it can be any worse.
cussing.gif

Probably those darn hens are keeping them quiet. Have a hen shooting festival this fall and hopefully things will get better for next spring. Keep at it though this season, I bet things will change in the next couple of days

Ah,
Im running into the same problems here, they will gobble for about 30 minutes off the roost and then they will just shut up completely, will not respond to calls or nothing, im hunting with bow so i had the chance to study them all seasons and i have to say 1-2 and some of 3rd the action was just superior! im thinking things started a little early here in iowa due to the warm weather. This season is draining my patience like you wouldnt believe!!!!
wall.gif

My dad and I went to an area where he heard two birds yesterday on the roost.
He blew the owl hooter about 5:45, and dead silence. We waited about15 minutes, and moved about 150. I blew my owl locator, and still nothing. We moved again, and I blew my crow call in a 10 minute seccion, and still no gobbles. This has never happend to us, ever. There is always birds in the area we hunt. They could of gotten scattered around by other hunter, or mushroom hunters. Hopefully birds will move back in to the area soon, but I still can't get over going out and not hearing a single gobble.

jason

I heard alot of birds on the roost this AM. 2 Gobbled fairly hard on the ground but I wasn't ready to get to them. Nice one came in silent about 9:00

From Wednesday afternoon to Saturday afternoon, I heard birds gobbling off and on throughout the day. Lots on the roost and just after fly-down, then tapering off to nothing about 7 a.m. But seemed like we could get a response to high-pitched diaphragm or slate starting again about 9 a.m. and even up until noon. They were with hens in most cases, but the hens would move off to sit and the gobblers would keep going. Then the same thing would happen about mid-afternoon.
It's hard to find them when they won't gobble but if you know the land, try to find the likely spots and try it. Most times we called aggressively to get a response.

Trying to figure them out is what makes it fun!
wall.gif

Threebeards

Top Bottom