Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is it to late to rattle?

bplate

I was wondering if it is getting to late in the season to be rattling. I rattled the other afternoon when a buck was a couple hundred yards away and he ran the other way. Just wondering what others are doing.

I've been blind-rattling and rattling when bucks are present the past few days and they haven't really paid too much attention to it at all. They will look, but, I think by this time of the year they are afraid of getting their butt kicked even more than it already has. These were smaller bucks that I was rattling to, btw. I just wanted to see what their reaction would be. Maybe it would be different if you happened upon the dominant buck in the area searching for that last doe in heat... I imagine he wouldn't hesitate to come running in unless he's had a bad experience in the past with a hunter rattling to him.

I've been blind-rattling and rattling when bucks are present the past few days and they haven't really paid too much attention to it at all. They will look, but, I think by this time of the year they are afraid of getting their butt kicked even more than it already has. These were smaller bucks that I was rattling to, btw. I just wanted to see what their reaction would be. Maybe it would be different if you happened upon the dominant buck in the area searching for that last doe in heat... I imagine he wouldn't hesitate to come running in unless he's had a bad experience in the past with a hunter rattling to him.

I know I have rattled in nice bucks the day after Thanksgiving already, but I have also rattled and not had any response at this time of year. My son rattled in 3 different bucks a couple of days ago. So I guess it depends. :grin:

I just rattled in a nice buck last night away from a doe he had been with. Before then rattled in a 125 8 pt. He wasnt to scared till the big buck came.

I watched 2 good bucks (both 140-150) fight for 20 minutes Sunday afternoon so I believe if the circumstances are right rattleing will work.

smaller bucks will probably run....bigger, dominant ones might just amble over and see who's causing all the ruckus

Ask Travis 'Central Iowa' if rattling works this time of year :grin:.... he just harvested one of the nicest 8pts a guy could dream of a couple days ago. He taped out at around 169" !!!

His pictures are posted on the PMA harvest forum.... under "Mega 8pt" :way:

Mature bucks have personalities just like we do... this time of year some are tired of fighting and others are ready and willing to rumble. :)

Co-worker rattled in a 150 on Monday evening. Said he could see him in a cornfield about 200 yds away and when he hit the horns, his head went straight up and he came in on a string.

I rattled in a 142 inch 10 point and killed him last sunday the 22nd. He was roaming and just changed his direction and came right in. I agree that it depends on the buck and his personality. Its still worth a try.

Top Bottom