Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is Rut REALLY on?

If your in SW Iowa I think we are right on the edge of it. I think around the 15th it really is going to hit overdrive.

well im hoping for this weekend! I am out of town the 15-17 for a slowpitch tournament and wont get to hunt at all that weekend. I know, what was I thinking agreeing to play in any tournament in the middle of November. Hopefully you all get the job done and I can at least see some harvest photos while away that weekend.

Picking up here. Saw a couple good bucks last weekend nosing around does, and almost got to see two probably 3.5 yr old 8's get into it (man I wish they would have gone at it!!!!!), and a probably 3.5 yr old 10 following a doe on Tuesday and other small bucks nosing around does (actually a little spike was chasing a doe fawn in the bean field!). Brother said he saw 2 big ones crossing the road with does on Wednesday, and I've been seeing bucks following does each morning on the way to work. Only real chase has been the little spike, but I'm sure there is more going on that just isn't being seen. Also my grandpa saw a buck pushing a doe and then bedded down with her last weekend.

I think around the 15th or 17th the 2nd full moon hits. Traditionally thats when the major breeding should be going on. 2nd full moon after the fall equinox is usually a good time to be in the stand.

17 hours in the stand the last 2 days - gave up with the wind after noon today. Only saw 1 chase and that was a little 5 point hot on the trail and a small 8 point followed 10 minutes behind. Have seen 2 bucks cruising and grunting. Several doe by themselves. But, it has to be close....

In stand till 10 today. 1 doe by herself. 1 doe chased by coyote right under my tree. No shot at yote. Slow for me in East central Iowa. Way to much corn up for my liking in my area too.

Last edited:
Took off work early, on stand at 3 pm.

No much until 4:50, then a pair of fawns fed into the bean field. Shortly after, a 1.5 yr old buck came in and chased them a bit. He figured it out quickly that it wasn't going to happen, raised his head, looked east and lit out across the bean field at a gallop.

Its a messed up rut this year. I have hunted three states and its all about the same. Been plenty cold so it aint weather related. Scrapes are dead they were hot last week. Their was never a peak with chasing and seeking which usually happens the past week and its been so so hear and their and a few guys are shooting some nice deer. I have seen does getting bred this past week as well. I would expect some bigger bucks to fall next week with the moon phase but its an odd fall for sure.

Really cranked up yesterday and today in WI. Yesterday I saw 11, 5 different bucks. Today 3 of us saw a combined 16 bucks. Lots of really nice bucks but just not quite the shooter we are looking for. Had a doe bed in the middle of a brush pile with a nice buck no more than 10 yards from here for 7 hours today, 50 yards from me. He finally chased her out of there at 4 this afternoon. Hoping it continues. Really looking forward to Monday and Tuesday cold temps.

Went with a buddy tonight, we were roughly 200 yards apart along the same ditch. Got out there round 12:30 and sat till dark, i didnt see a thing but he had action the entire time. Typ 12 came by him at ten yards along with a number of does and 2 smaller bucks. He passed on the 12 (145-150"), he was with a doe. So its obviously hit or miss depending on where your at even if its only a matter of yards away.

I've logged almost 45 hours in the stand over 4 days and have yet to see any real rutting action. First day i saw three 1.5 year old bucks and one doe. Second day I saw two 2.5 year old bucks. Third day I saw one fawn and one 1.5 year old buck. Fourth day I saw one 2.5 year old buck. My Reconyx cams are showing very little daylight movement by anything. It's been pathetic so far!

Thought you were going with the third week prediction as stated in your other post? Which one is it?

If you read Charles Alshiemers rut predictions they are dead on! Some doe as started cycling off the Oct full moon and the would continue to trickle but the best time to be in the woods will be the 3 rd week of November. When I mentioned this before season I was blasted by all of the more educated guys on here who stated the rut is basically the same every year and that the moon has no effect on the rut itself......

If you read Charles Alshiemers rut predictions they are dead on! Some doe as started cycling off the Oct full moon and the would continue to trickle but the best time to be in the woods will be the 3 rd week of November. When I mentioned this before season I was blasted by all of the more educated guys on here who stated the rut is basically the same every year and that the moon has no effect on the rut itself......

I don't get in to all that hoop la!

On a different note had an excellent afternoon in the stand......well kinda. Headed to the spot I was planning to hunt and found out the farmer was combining the small property so decided on a quick plan b. Hurried to my next spot and as I was parking I seen the owners wife so I stopped and chatted a minute. Well I got to the stand late and wouldn't you know it. Halfway up the tree and one of the hit lister bucks runs a doe right by me. Whe

On a different note had an excellent afternoon in the stand......well kinda. Headed to the spot I was planning to hunt and found out the farmer was combining the small property so decided on a quick plan b. Hurried to my next spot and as I was parking I seen the owners wife so I stopped and chatted a minute. Well I got to the stand late and wouldn't you know it. Halfway up the tree and one of the hit lister bucks runs a doe right by me. Whe

Sorry wrong button. When the doe got by me she winded me and stopped so did the buck. We had a staring match for what seemed like ten minutes then the doe took off and he followed. Had non stop action from 3 till dark. A lot of bucks cruising.

I sat from dark to dark today. Today was easily one of the best days I have had bow hunting. I had non-stop action from sun up to sun down. I could hear deer chasing walking in the the stand and had deer still chasing leaving the stand. I always sort of shake my head and get a little upset when I read on here of people seeing deer all day and seeing tons of deer, well today after five years of bowhunting today was my day. I probably saw at least 30 deer today. Spikes all the way to I would guess a couple 140's chasing does all over. I was hunting in a river bottom in the timber. Absolutely insane day of hunting! Even in the gusty wind this afternoon there was movement. Bucks grunting, making scrapes, and snort wheezing all over. With the exception of a couple hour and half blocks, one mid-morning and one mid afternoon I probably did not go more than twenty minutes without some sort of action. Absolutely crazy day. This was central IA near Des Moines.

Top Bottom