Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is Rut REALLY on?

Small 8 Thursday night chasing a hot doe, this morning seen a couple bucks cruising, they were 250 yards away and probably couldn't hear any of my calls. Tonight only saw a young doe bleating her ass off, no bucks around to take care of her that I saw...

East Central IA by CR

Small 8 Thursday night chasing a hot doe, this morning seen a couple bucks cruising, they were 250 yards away and probably couldn't hear any of my calls. Tonight only saw a young doe bleating her ass off, no bucks around to take care of her that I saw... East Central IA by CR

How do you know she was a hot doe?

Insane action this morning. I woke up to most of our corn having been harvested after dark yesterday.

I started down on the creek bottom, but when the neighbor's dog treed a coon next to me, decided to move to a brushy waterway.

The farmer we hire had left a strip of corn in the field next to the waterway. All things broke loose as a 2.5 yr old 8 tried to keep three 1.5 yr olds away from HIS doe. :D

Could have shot any of the 1.5's as they all ran and stood under my stand. I was hoping a bigger boy would step up to challenge the 2.5, nothing came out of the standing corn. The doe jumped the fence and moved off, taking her posse with her.

I saw fawns still with does and bucks out right before dark just nosing around, don't seem rutted up at all to me in keokuk county.

If you are in the western part of the state I suggest hunting the next 4 days, it's not going to get any better!

I was out til 10:00 a.m this morning seen 2 coyotes fighting & a spike buck a 1.5 yr old buck & 2 does no chasing or rutting activity at all.

Haven't seen a damn thing today in Jefferson county...these are proven spots, no idea what is going on but it makes me want jump out of my tree..

Haven't seen a damn thing today in Jefferson county...these are proven spots, no idea what is going on but it makes me want jump out of my tree..

Same here thought about jumping yesterday. I'm in lee county and nothing been dead. Sitting in a funnel that usually has bucks all day long.

I'm thinking the reason you guys are not seeing anything is either..

1. EHD has hit hard in your area and there are not much bucks out there

2. The bucks are at the outer edges of their core/travel areas looking for does

3. They have already found some estrus does and are with them

4. They have gotten downwind or approached from the downwind side and have left.

Just some thoughts...

I'm thinking the reason you guys are not seeing anything is either..

1. EHD has hit hard in your area and there are not much bucks out there

2. The bucks are at the outer edges of their core/travel areas looking for does

3. They have already found some estrus does and are with them

4. They have gotten downwind or approached from the downwind side and have left.

Just some thoughts...

5. There are no more does left to chase...

5. There are no more does left to chase...

It could very well be that.

6. To much hunting pressure has either forced them to hide or They have moved their activity to night time hours.

7. My biggest fear... Fellow hunters have already harvested some of the
bucks in the area..

Took my buddy out to sit in a stand.. Saw 2 good bucks this morning. One that wouldn't leave his does side, the other was chasing a doe about 300yds away

It's going to be hit or miss from one farm to the next, just be in the woods the 3rd week of this month.

Right now the moon is rising in the afternoon sky so mornings will not be near as good as evenings...

Top Bottom