Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is spotlighting Legal?

booneriverbucks

PMA Member
Just wondering if it was legal to drive around and spotlight deer. Ive heard both yes and no. I thought the regulations said no but was wondering if you could if you don't have any firearms in your truck. Its hard to find the exact regs. Ive been hunting here for ten years but only lived here for five so I am kinda unaware of the rules on this still.

as long as you don't have a gun, bow, bullet, etc in your truck you will be legal. BUT, everyone that sees you will think you are poaching, so be prepare to explain yourself, and for a possible visit from law enforcement

Its hard sure hard for any hunter to make sure he doesn't have any ammo laying around anywhere in his truck. When the regs say that spotlighting for deer is illegal they must mean shooting them with the aid of a spotlight.

It is legal as long has you have nothing in your truck to kill them with..as Teeroy stated.The game wardens don't want you doing it though because if someone calls it in its a waste of their time.A lot of poachers do it without weapons till they find a deer they want to shoot.So how is the game warden supposed to tell the difference.

There was a draft bill last year and I am not sure if it passed and became law but it was going to be illegal to spotlight deer between september through january even if you aren't hunting them regardless if you had a weapon in your possession.

As long as there are no weapons in the vehicle you are legal. DNR will search the vehicle and tell you not to allow the spotlight beam to cross the roadway and send you on your marry way. They have a airplane up a couple of times a week to patrol. real easy to see it from the air.

Top Bottom