Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is this a bad idea?

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
Lost an arrow this evening target shooting. I have lost quit a few, mainly because I do not have a backstop of any kind. I have some old tires laying around so I am thinking about stacking them up a few yards behind the target. Is this a bad idea? I'm thinking on could possibly richochet(sp). But, was also thinking that they may just penetrate a little bit and stop and it might be easy to just pull them out. I'm a little to chicken though to try it. Anyone ever seen this or tried it?

Get some cheap foam board at lowes or menard (they have these in 6'x4') for as many times this will happem it will lasta long timeand slow or stop your arrow

Last edited:
We used to use a rolling tire with a balloon taped inside for running shot fun. Pulling an arrow from a tire was nothing short of a nightmare, depending on where it hit. Plus, if your miss slides between tires you would be unstacking them to find the arrow. I would try the options suggested above.:way:

Depending on what you are going to do, you could always check with a local phone company and see if they have left over phone books they want to get rid of. I work for one and usually every year guys come and get our old phone books for that.

I used to get the foam blocks from Theiesns.

Or stuff an old box full of clothes (take off any buttons or zippers) and tape it shut. We cover the box with black plastic and paint dots. When the box wears out we just take out the clothes and get a new box. Cheap and easy. :way:

...Or stuff an old box full of clothes (take off any buttons or zippers) and tape it shut. We cover the box with black plastic and paint dots. When the box wears out we just take out the clothes and get a new box. Cheap and easy. :way:

No, no, no Mole, that will never work. Don't you know there has to be a flashy logo on the target, a corresponding TV program to promote the product, complete with a paid celebrity endorser or two in order for a target to stop arrows. :D

But seriously, I love the simple approach. One of our targets is actually a gunny sack jammed with leftover shrinkwrap and then sewn shut at the top. It stops arrows just fine and I think it cost us less than $1.

Forgot I even posted this, thanks for the replies. Don't think I'll use my old tires. I think I'll get some foam boards from Menards or something. I like Mole's idea, but would need more old clothes.

Top Bottom