Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is This A Strange Deer Behavior

The Silence

PMA Member
Last night, since my stands were iced up I decided to try a decoy-- with me set up in my ghillie suit in the CRP grass next to the soybean field. What a blast! I was hoping to attract a travelling buck either with the doe decoy or with a number of does that I was hoping that the decoy would attract. I wasn't going to shot a doe, even though, in the past, when I use decoys I've almost always brought in does to check things out. Some more nervous than others. But their curiosity usually gets the best of them.

Anyway, the first doe came in less than 5 yards from me and was totally consumed with the decoy. At first, all I could hear was her breathing. It sounded like the first part of a snort wheeze but this was with every breathe. The other thing she was doing was the sideways strut like a buck and her tail was tucked between her legs except the tail hair was widened out to twice it's normal width. She was making it known in no uncertain terms who was the boss mama. Totally fascinating. Her and one other mature doe, along with 2 fawns, hung around the decoy for at least 15-20 minutes. I could hear a buck come in behind me at super close range(probably within 5-10 yards) but just would not leave the security of the CRP until after dark. I did see him in the field 20 minutes later looking for the decoy that I had already taken down and was picking up with my truck.

Have any of you guys seen a doe using this type of vocalization and showing this type of behavior?

Top Bottom