Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is your area dry??

Hardwood11

It is going to be a good fall!
I'm hearing some guys down in Southern IA say that the weather has been hot and dry. I talked to my renter on my farm and he says "we need rain"

Is it a concern yet?

I'm hearing some guys down in Southern IA say that the weather has been hot and dry. I talked to my renter on my farm and he says "we need rain"

Is it a concern yet?

I got .80" at my farm in NW Lucas county on Saturday (25 miles from i35). Got smoked with much more rain 25 miles north or that at my house at the same time. Went to the farm on Monday and it looked like it didn't even rain! I know it rained sat because I was there

You know I'd comment. A talk about weather, like waving a hanky in front of a bull...My area was wet all May,,then this heat dome arrived. Looks like I will make it 18 days by next week no rain, with 14 of em in the 90's! To say the least,,I am dry. Clay held in there,,clover held,,,but it is now going. The old Heat dome and Ring of Fire. If you are near the Ring,,ya got storms. I-80 and north blessed areas. If you are south,,your cooked,,except for the occasional pop up storm here or over there...

Maybe sign up for Farmlogs. I haven't registered so thus I don't have any idea how well it works.

I just registered parcels in two counties. One area got 0.9" last night, the other 0.38", not saying I have complete confidence in the accuracy, but it gives me a good idea.

We drove to Minneapolis last weekend. Before last nights rain, we were dry, our yard was starting to brown out. Thus, I was somewhat shocked by the ponding of water in ag fields in north central Iowa on the drive to the Twin Cities.

IA rain

You know I'd comment. A talk about weather, like waving a hanky in front of a bull...My area was wet all May,,then this heat dome arrived. Looks like I will make it 18 days by next week no rain, with 14 of em in the 90's! To say the least,,I am dry. Clay held in there,,clover held,,,but it is now going. The old Heat dome and Ring of Fire. If you are near the Ring,,ya got storms. I-80 and north blessed areas. If you are south,,your cooked,,except for the occasional pop up storm here or over there...

I knew you couldn't resist:D

I once read that in consistent 90 degree "hot" weather you need an inch a week otherwise you will lose some growth/yield on corn

I just registered parcels in two counties. One area got 0.9" last night, the other 0.38", not saying I have complete confidence in the accuracy, but it gives me a good idea.

We drove to Minneapolis last weekend. Before last nights rain, we were dry, our yard was starting to brown out. Thus, I was somewhat shocked by the ponding of water in ag fields in north central Iowa on the drive to the Twin Cities.

We have been good in MN,,for the most part. Mankato, MN got 5.5 inches last night.

Corn? An inch of rain? Corn is already curling up down here. Went from standing in water in May, to curling! Extreme weather. Had to laugh,,,reading weather forecast yesterday. Nat Service had us pegged for 80% likely Severe T-Storms. Turned out 80% bright Moon,,tinted with all the lightning up north along I-80. When it gets real HOT, that's where the storms go. Next chance of rain, not until next week. It will be too late,,too long baked,,for whatever happens. Looking at property North...

I ran my tiller just this past Saturday and it was getting dry...but not terrible yet. However, I think the rains that have hit northern Iowa this week have largely missed my area in SE Iowa and with this heat...I too would say that "we need rain".

It's not time for the panic button yet, but things will start to stunt/slow here somewhat soon at this rate.

Daver,,You bet it is dry down here! Deep moisture for trees was abundant,,but with this daily 90's bit,,its goin fast! I have my hose out every evening for the garden,,now turning it on my fruit trees too. One apple tree is dropping apples,,I assume due to stress. Next chance of any rain,,next week,,until then,,Turn UP the Heat Baby!

Beyond dry here. 3/4" cracks in ground. My area missed the north storm yesterday. Missed the south storm a few days ago. Missed 3 or 4 before that. I just walked a property with a 10' deep creek (not ditch) and I walked right down the middle for a quarter section. It hasn't rained in several weeks.

Hey,,I feel your pain. Back in May I saw when I was getting soaked,,to the west of me twards Albia,,Getting Zilch! South Central Iowa is on the Official Drought Monitor Map. Have not looked at it recently, but it probably has expanded. If something doesn't change here, I know I will be on it too...

Let us hope,,when the ,Ring of Fire, sets up next week, that it sets up right over Northen MO and Southern Iowa, and stalls. If it slips south,,as some say,,We are otta luck...

Very dry in my part of Monona county. Nice rain all around but just did not hit here. A friend of mine in Wyoming always says, "we are always only 2 weeks away from a drought, this time of the year"

North west Monroe county is real dry the few rains we had before missed that area.
West of Blakesburg we got 2 small pop up showers that have helped.

For those that are DRY,,,we need to go out next week and BLOW, to the North! Reading various forecasts, the next front is going to pass rather quickly,,stalling down in MO. We need the thing to STOP! Around Southern Iowa!!

Just reading online, "hot and dry weather forecast for Midwest has factored into a surge in corn and soybean prices"

Top Bottom