Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

It Was So Quiet Out Tonight

G6

I heard a squirrel pissing out of a tree across the draw. :D Actually I never saw any movement anyone else have a night like that? Never did like the dead still nights because the deer seem not to like it either and never move until after dark. I missed hitting a buck with the truck tonight by about a 50th of a second or should I say he almost hit me. All I saw was the flash of his head and antlers next to my door handle so he had to brush the rear bumper. :thrwrck:

I hear yah Mark. As soon as the woods turn quiet, confidence goes down to nothing. I just want to leave. I don't think I have ever seen any deer on a night like that. This morning was the same day. Just dead quiet and nothing moving. On the drive home from 10-11 I saw 7 bucks out cruising

strange. I didn't see a thing either in the stand tonight and when I was only about a half mile down the road I almost took out a 130 inch 10 point with the front end of the chevy.
How many of you believe in the moon phase stuff? Cuz right now according to it the deer wont move till after dark.

I have never hunted that stand without seeing this pair of button bucks every time as well as a few other deer. Nothing in the fields either like there always is, I'm not liking this moon either.:( Erick I have a feeling it's going to be tough hunting from here on out til shotgun season other than maybe catching a big one looking for the last of the estrous does.

Last edited:
You boys are making me feel better about not getting out today. Tomorrow looks great to.....20mph from the South.:rolleyes:

Mid-day is the time to hunt right now.A friend had a 150'' 10pt come in at 11 and didn't offer a shot. Another friend shot a 160'' 10pt at 12:30 this afternoon.I saw a huge 8 and a big 6 on my way to stand at 2pm.Then nothing from stand.

Mid-day is the time to hunt right now.A friend had a 150'' 10pt come in at 11 and didn't offer a shot. Another friend shot a 160'' 10pt at 12:30 this afternoon.I saw a huge 8 and a big 6 on my way to stand at 2pm.Then nothing from stand.
That's the plan this weekend. :way:

me and my buddy both got skunked tonight and i saw 23 deer from the same stand tuesday morning.

Not sure where you guys were hunting, but it was windy as crap where I was, but did see a ton of deer.
You are probably hunting southern Iowa the wind has picked up here this morning from the south, I would have liked to have had it from the south last night. Why no harvest report? :D

weird, I LOVE still nights during the rut. i always have close encounters and seem to see plenty of deer.... interesting....

I've had way too many nights of not seeing deer this year. I'm giving it a valiant effort until Shotgun break, then have to make a decision on whether I want to pick up the muzzy or not. It's my first year 100% devoted to my traditional bow, so if I don't take one, it's still a victory in my book.

I passed on a few does early in the season when we were seeing 75 and 80 degree termparatures. I didn't want to risk spoiling the meat by not being able to find the deer right away.

Since then, I've been seeing very few deer. I think the hunting pressure in the area has them pushed nocturnal, becuase there's still active scrapes and rubs in the area.

You are probably hunting southern Iowa the wind has picked up here this morning from the south, I would have liked to have had it from the south last night. Why no harvest report? :D

You know I hunt southern IA, and the south wind was blowing pretty good. But I was also on top of the world, the highest ridge in a 6 section radius, that is pretty open, so the wind always seems higher up there than anywhere.

As for the harvest, close, but no cigar yet. ;)

With a windchill of 19 this morning I only saw a few. I passed on a nice 8 and a medium 6. The highlight of my day was definitely watch 2 forks spar for a few minutes. Although they were the small, they packed a hell of a punch...

With a windchill of 19 this morning I only saw a few. I passed on a nice 8 and a medium 6. The highlight of my day was definitely watch 2 forks spar for a few minutes. Although they were the small, they packed a hell of a punch...
Last weekend I saw two button bucks actually have a knock down drag out fight for about 20 seconds, one even went rolling. I never got the video camera up in time. I have never seen anything like it before and probably will never again, it was comical. :D

Top Bottom