Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Its a lot more than $2 million!

OrionWhitetails

I read on another thread that the Iowa DNR is losing out on around $2 million from NR license fees that are returned because they failed to draw a tag.

Folks, the financial loss to the state of Iowa is many times higher than this!

Once again in order to avoid being accused of "spinning" information, I will quote from the recent report entitled "A Review Of Iowa's Deer Management Program," provided to the Iowa Legislature from the Iowa Deer Advisory Committee (see table 2, page 24)...

Retail sales from NR deer hunters = $16,768,712
Output from NR deer hunters = $25,765,052
Earnings from NR deer hunters = $8,411,948
Jobs from NR deer hunters = 309
Federal tax revenue from NR deer hunters = $1,840,387
State & local tax revenue from NR deer hunters = $1,608,159

<u>Collectively NR deer hunters provide around 12% of the total revenues generated from deer hunting in the state of Iowa... but they receive LESS THAN 4% of the tags issued!</u>

Now, keep in mind that the above revenues are ONLY FROM NR DEER HUNTERS WHO SUCCESSFULLY DREW A TAG! Obviously, you would expect these numbers to DOUBLE if Iowa simply added 6,000 more NR any-sex tags, doubling the current number.

In my view that is IMPACT that it is hard for ANY state employee or elected official to ignore.

You got us. No spin on that one. It’s a good thing we let in as many of you as we do, otherwise Iowa might go bankrupt.

The argument has always been and always will be short sighted money grabs always go bust sooner or later. As soon as all the great Iowa deer are dead you’ll just pull up stakes and move to the next state with big antlers. Oh wait, how many states like Iowa are left?

To the resident hunters of Iowa it is about sustainable, affordable and accessible hunting.

The ‘Bonker

Mickey, since we are talking numbers....I heard from a good source you've got around 5000 acres of ground tied up in your Iowa deer hunting operation.

That's pretty impressive....... I mean, you have as much land tied up as one of Iowa's largest State parks, Yellow River Forest. Only thing is, thousands of Iowan's use the park, how many people use your ground?

So, when you charge $4,500 for a week of hunting and fine your customers $1,000 for shooting inadequate deer.....is this where the deer committee got all there big NR revenue numbers from? I think I might be seeing the light here.......it doesn't take many non residents like yourself to really drum up some cash for yourself AND lock up State park sized tracts of land.

You need to change the name of your group FOI, talk about spin.

How much revenue will the state lose when Iowa residents simply don't have a place to hunt? I'd like to see what revenue the other 96% of the tags are bringing year in and year out. If you care about our state so much, why don't you stay home during that week of November and help out your own state? We don't need your money.

images.jpg

Mr. Orion, why is it that you are so concerned with the state of Iowa's money situation? Since the deer management part of your argument didn't work, now you are going to the state funding part?

Iowa is pretty much an independant state, heck, we're even making our own gas and diesel now.

Now tell me this. You are a well known guide. Is what you are after are more people to bring into the Afton area to hunt on your lease? Or do you simply care so much about the Non-resident landowner, which knew the laws of Iowa when the bought the ground, not being able to draw an any sex tag yearly, because they can hunt every year with landowner doe tags and turkey tags never draw out.

Just some food for thought. I really wish that Texas would grow some big deer without a 12 foot fence or having to put out an incredible about of protein and year round food, that way I could go down and kill a deer worth while.

Wait ur turn... Give us your money every three years

Just cause the economy doesn't look good now doesn't mean we should ruin our deer herd does it??

Then whats left?? Large ranches with small deer only NRs wanting to hunt there.. Sounds like TEXAS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then whats left?? Large ranches with small deer only NRs wanting to hunt there.. Sounds like TEXAS </div></div>

Well said! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OrionWhitetails</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Once again in order to avoid being accused of "spinning" information, </div></div>

Here is a spin for you. If 15,000 NR applied for 6,000 tags simple economics would say increase the price. How about double, that way the state makes its money, we maintain our quality deer herd, and the NR saves money by not having to pay you 5,000 to hunt.

Thanks God I'm an Iowan! I lived in Texas for a year, and heard many stories of NR coming up to the Midwest and how they talked trash about Midwest states and they would say that all we have to offer is a good white-tail! KEEEPPPP YA’LL OUT! I'm not saying that every NR feels the same way, but after hearing it come out of numerous TX hunters mouths it sure gave me a bad taste in my mouth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
To the resident hunters of Iowa it is about sustainable, affordable and accessible hunting.

The ‘Bonker
</div></div>

Bonker hit the nail on the head here.
AGREED!

They can up the number of NR tags as long as they outlaw outfitters on the same bill. : ) May be that is still to generous.....

Fishbonker,

Wow, you must really feel threatened by our small group! We are requesting an increase of 6,000 additional any-sex tags, bringing the grand total to 12,000... a number that would STILL RANK IOWA DEAD LAST in the category of number of NR licenses issued. Are we such good deer hunters that we are going to wipe out Iowa's deer herd??? Talk about spin!

Mickey, you apparently over looked this part of Tom's post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To the resident hunters of Iowa it is about sustainable, affordable and accessible hunting.
</div></div>

I always get a kick out of you guys that think we feel threatened that deer are gonna be killed here. Let me clue you in on some deer biology. "In November here, they make more deer every year." /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

If you didn't feel threatened of our strong Iowa values and grass roots efforts to take care of business.....you wouldn't be here stirring the pot. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

With that said, you'll be happy to know I just pulled my finger of the send button. I asked my legislator to strike you and your group from the deer committee. I'm pretty sure he'll agree. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

you know that any tag addition will just open the door for you to ask for more, and more down the road.

and iowa should rank dead last. that is almost where we rank in the terms of public land per capita

River Bttm Boy,

Let's see... I make a post about the amount of revenue generated by NR hunters & you respond, but instead of addressing/disputing the facts that I state, you sling personal attacks. Um... a clear sign of ignorance of the issues - ignore the facts & resort to personal attacks. Unfortunately for you, this is not about me personally. Also unfortunately for you, the facts are not mine, they are facts provided from the Iowa Deer Advisory Committee - no wonder you're not arguing facts on this site!

I'm just clueing in people on who and what they're dealing with. Even the name of your group is spin. As far as facts, I think elkhunter gave ya some pretty darn good ones on the other thread. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Enjoy him fellas, I'm tired of responding.

What part of "No spin on that one" didn't you get?

As far as thretened? Naw, just another stone in my shoe.

How many of the extra 6K hunters will displace the resident hunters of Iowa? I'll ask you again, why should we raise any quota when Iowa didn't sell out all the NR deer hunting tags in 07-08? I'll back off of that one if the numbers for 08-09 are different.

Just out of curiosity, how much would be too much of a rise in the cost of a NR licenses? A tag recently sold for $2500. How about Iowa throws open the doors for 5K a pop and requires guides and outfitters to pay a fee for ground they have leased up or own and charge, oh lets see, perhaps 10K for an outfitters license, put up a surety bond and pay a fee of, lets not make it too bad, lets say 1K/hunter guided? Oh yeah, and to make sure you get your cut every NR MUST be guided?

The 'Bonker

I tell you what, working with farmers and landowners, that OWN thousands of acres, everyday, I am really suprised of the comments that they are making, and the amount of them that are contacting their legislatures to keep any of this happening.

One example, I talked with a guy today that owns well over 1000 acres, and I did not realize at all that he even keeps up with this type of thing. He has made 3 calls to the Iowa legislature, and SENATE /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif to voice his opinion, and buddy Orion, they are definilty not in your favor.

Top Bottom