Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

It's Baaaaaack

Fishbonker

Life Member
HF 90

http://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/cool-...ry=BillInfo&Service=BillBook&GA=85&hbill=HF90

Not sure if this bill is the same as the bills proposed the past two sessions or not. Interesting thing, as I read it, is the fine for trespassing while using a dog to track wounded deer is a whopping $25.00. So next time I wanna trespass I'll just leash up Chico the killer Chihuahua and track deer, wounded or not.

There are threads somewhere on this site where this issue has been discussed ad nauseam.

the fine for trespassing while using a dog to track wounded deer is a whopping $25.00.

But if I'm engaged in "the unarmed pursuit of wounded game" (without a dog), I'm within my rights and not trespassing..........

Think about that a little.

Does the dnr truely consider it illegal to use a dog to find a dead deer???

I certainly don't think they consider it illegal to use a flashlight/artificial light while tracking at night.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

I guess I meant it, how would a person be able to say they are tracking a deer with a dog, but yet no blood trail? Because yeah, then I will leash up my dog and walk through every woods that I think I "lost" my deer in.. seems a shady loophole for some.. obviously, not all, and I am not saying all would use that..just didnt know if there would need to be a sparse blood trail as proof or something

I don't know what they're debating anymore. They've said they were going to implement this administratively through the Natural Resources Commission for years now. We all have debated the worthlessness of the legislative process, and can all agree that it is never going to get done legislatively. Meanwhile, we're getting HF-whateverthehell. This will never get done. I got my dog 2 years ago because Litchfield told me they'd be getting it done before the 2011 deer season. Meanwhile, 2 years later...

Don't be confused. This bill is a good thing. The issue has always been running deer with dogs, not crossing fences. Thing is, most states require your dog to be on lead, which is what the bible preaches anyway http://www.amazon.com/Tracking-Dogs-Finding-Wounded-Deer/dp/0972508929

This issue is a no brainer. I'm colorblind and am a worthless tracker. Dogs will lose fewer deer than we will. I've seen it.

Last edited:
I find it funny I can use a dog off lead to hunt about anything you can think of, (and oh yea one of them might chase and harass a deer) but I can't use a dog on a lead to assist me in finding a deer that was fatally shot and didn't pile up 30 yards after I shot it. The few people against it talk about loopholes and a small minority that wouldn't follow the rules. I got news for you, you can't legislate peoples ethics. The bad people aren't going to follow the rules anyway. With that logic we might as well get rid of all our guns and make it illegal to drive because you know a gang banger might shoot someone and a drunk driver might run into someone and kill them. If you think this will be a big problem with abuse call one of the states that allow it and ask their DNR. They will tell you it's not an issue. Keep your head up PackNasty this thing will eventually go through. It happened with the dove bill and it will happen with this. Unfortunately we have to play the legislative game until then.

but I can't use a dog on a lead to assist me in finding a deer that was fatally shot and didn't pile up 30 yards after I shot it.

Again i ask ... Can someone confirm that it is currently illegal to use a dog to look for a dead deer??

Yes the Iowa DNR considers it illegal to track a deer with a dog. That is why there has been legislation introduced going on 5 years now to change that. The DNR says it is prohibited to use a dog to hunt for a deer and one of their definitions of hunting includes in search of. That is regardless of the fact that the practice of tracking a deer with a dog is to recover the animal that has already been shot.

Thanks deersniffer ... Do you happen to have a link to the actual verbiage for the regulation and/or law?

I talked to a DNR official that was in charge of the hunting enforcement a couple years ago to get his take on it. He was referred to me by Dale Garner of the DNR. He told me the way the rules are written that he interprets tracking deer with a dog as being the same as hunting deer with a dog which of coarse is not allowed. I don't remember that guys name. If you look at the current 2013-2014 hunting and trapping rules and regulations, pg.12 defines what the DNR considers hunting, and pg.23 states dogs cannot be used to hunt deer.

United Blood Trackers Trackfest Event

Trackfest 2013
Dates: June 1,2,3, 2013
6180 Erdman Road
Arena, WI 53503
For more info and pricing Trackfest 2013

The United Blood Trackers are holding a 3 day blood-tracking seminar and workshop in Arena Wisconsin June 1st-3rd. They hold this annually in different parts of the country. I have attended in the past and really enjoyed it. If you are interested please check out the link above.

Currently 36 other states allow tracking a wounded deer with a dog. South Dakota is the most recent to legalize it. Iowa is not on-board and has recently met resistance going through the legislative process. This is mainly due to a few that are against it and have paid a lobbyist to back them. I hope Iowa will work this out eventually.

Top Bottom