Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

It's December, what's working??

huntdoc

So this is the time of year that you planted plots for. Which ones have the deer in them, which ones never grew, which ones are getting ignored?

My corn didn't do very well this year but it's hard to beat corn this time of the year.

Last Sunday evening I had 12 bucks come into my turnip plot. The deer love the turnips this time of the year. They were still eating the leaves as well as the bulbs. I watched one buck pull three plants out of the ground and eat the entire plant and bulb. I was feeling sick just watching him fill up.

Tim

Can you give me a little advice on the turnip deal your talking about. Where do i buy them. what kind of area do i plant them. When to plant them. How many do i plant. any advice would be great! i might have to look into it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sofakingfast_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you give me a little advice on the turnip deal your talking about. Where do i buy them. what kind of area do i plant them. When to plant them. How many do i plant. any advice would be great! i might have to look into it </div></div>

Spend some time reading in the Whitetail Management forum. Lots of great info there!
thumbs_up.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sofakingfast_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you give me a little advice on the turnip deal your talking about. Where do i buy them. what kind of area do i plant them. When to plant them. How many do i plant. any advice would be great! i might have to look into it </div></div>

You should be able to find all you ever want to know about brassicas (turnips and rape) in our thread on Brassicas

My alfalfa and any type of corn (stubble or standing)is still drawing deer even in the snow. They are also pawing thru to grains like rye and wheat now. Clover is pretty well done for as far as a draw but of course if it is the only feed they will keep working on it.

Standing soybeans like corn will draw all winter but everything has been harvested around here.

My turnips haven't been touched. Plenty of tracks through them. Do you suppose it's becuse of the large alfalfa field its planted next to and the picked corn field across the road? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

They also have not been in my clover/Bucks and Bosses plot, which is even closer to the alfalfa.

I think next year I'm gonna plant my "strip" to corn and let it stand over winter. I'm hoping the rotting turnips make good mulch.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My turnips haven't been touched. </div></div>

See if they eat them in Jan. when everything else is gone. That's when they often hit the "root" part of the turnips.

I've found if corn and alfalfa are present...brassicas aren't always a big hit.

I’m like fishbonkers on this one…The freshly cut corn field 1/3 mile away has the deer traveling there. I would expect my Purple Top Turnips and Dwarf Essex Rape to start to be hit after the first, as nothing happen now…

So far, the corn & beans seem to be the preferred food plots although they are still pawing through the snow for the clover. Turnips/rape have hardly been touched. Deer numbers seem to be down significantly the past couple of years as the corn/bean plots are normally about gone by now - did not see near the numbers of deer during bow/gun seasons. I saw more deer in one morning of gun hunting at the other farm than in 4 days at home!

Top Bottom