Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ive got the flinches

BowHunt'nFool

Iv got a problem that maybe some of you might be able to help me with. When I shoot my bow every once in a while I will flinch. I dont pull the trigger but its like I am anticipating the shot. Ive tried adjusting my draw length and several other things and I cant figure it out. It dont matter what I do. I do it when I just start shooting, even after I get warmed up and when I get tired.
It dont hurt my accuracy, I still have good arrow placement. The only time it would make a difference is if I were to shoot at a deer and I have to shoot in a shooting lane if I flinch it takes a few seconds to regroup and get the pin settled again. It could cost a shot at a big buck.
So if anyone could give any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thank you!!!!!
BowHunt'nFool

BHF

I've always called flinching at the target, "target panic". To correct it I let down the bow every time I flinch, take a couple breaths, redraw, and start over. I've always felt that the flinching is due to your mind telling you to "hurry up and release" while your body isn't quite ready to.

Try this and if it doesn't work out you probably need a new bow, come on in and I'll hook ya up with one.
wink.gif
Tell your wife it's "Doctor's orders" if you need to!

I too have target panic bad, the best thing to correct i've found is to shoot at a target close up. Get a couple of yds away and shoot with your eyes closed. It also helps to count in your head from 3 or so down. Also if you found that you are flinching when shooting normally you should stop shooting, the only thing you are doing is program that inot to your mind. To correct this you will have to dedicate a lot of time to "blind bale" shooting. Hope this helps

BHF, Richard has the right idea. I read an article by Randy Ulmer a couple of years ago and "Blind Shooting" was his remedy for target panic. I've tried it and it seems to help take the anticipation out of the shot and it really helps with the mechanics of your shooting form. After a while, as Muddy says, your mind and body seem to get in sync. Then go for the new bow,
wink.gif

For the issues you have with shooting your bow I believe you expalined what is called the yips in golf. Any golfers out there?

I highly recommend the book "Zen and the Art of Archery' by Eric Herrigel. Available at Amazon.com of course. Every archery enthusiast, golfer, pool shooter ect... should have a copy of this fine book. Here is an excerpt I found on the internet:

>>>The right shot at the right moment does not come because you do not let go of yourself. You do not wait for fulfillment, but brace yourself for failure. So long as that is so, you have no choice but to call forth something yourself that ought to happen independently of you, and so long as you call it forth you hand will not open in the right way - like the hand of a child."

>>>"For ultimately, I draw the bow and loose the shot in order to hit the target. The drawing is thus a means to an end, and I cannot lose sight of this connection. The child knows nothing of this, but for me the two things cannot be disconnected"

>>>"The right art, is purposeless, aimless! The more obstinately you try to learn how to shoot the arrow for the sake of hitting the goal, the less you will succeed in the one and the further the other will recede. What stands in your way is that you have a much too willful will. You think that what you do not do yourself does not happen."

The book is short, very easy to read and understand. I have my copy at work so I can't relay the # of pages. I have used the book with great results.

Good luck

I read once that flinching is partly caused by using the wrong mussels to draw and hold the bow. I shoot longbows and some times notice a tendency to flinch with these. If you use only your arms and shoulders to draw it will cause flinching. You need to use more of your back mussels. The blind shooting will bring these back mussels into play because your are concentrating on form and the feel of the shot rather than the target. I know when this happens to me if I try to feel these back mussels when I draw it helps settle me down and makes the shot much more fluid.

Sp69, that's pretty deep. Don't forget, this site is made up of deer hunters. Just use short sentences, use very few words over 8 characters, and throw in a couple photos to help hold our attention. Also, for those of us who don't read real fast . . . type your words very slowly. Gotta go - my mind's wandering again.

Thanks for the replys.Ill try the blind shooting. It sounds logical.
Muddy I would like to get the new Hoyt HavocTec but I think I will wait til next year since I just bought the 2002 HavocTec a year ago. But if all else fails I will set up a Doctors appointment at Scheels.
grin.gif

Well thanks guys and keep the replys coming Ill try anything.
BowHuntnFool

A little eastern philosophy can go a long way.
My problem is my hobbies of golf, bonsai and bowhunting all require some amount of mental relaxation to perform.

Yea the Zen book I recommended can get deep but if you work through some of the weird, off the wall stuff, you can find some really good thoughts. Don't let that zen word scare ya away.

Nothing better than the zen approach of focusing on your breathing as that booner slowly approaches and you are gasping for what little air you can.

The best way I figured out how to shoot is simple with no anticipation. Breath normal during your shot, notice there is a slight natural pause in between your exhale and inhale. That's when you want to release, same with shooting a gun. Simple as that.

Your talking about the Toby Jerk. Dont fix it I kinda like it its good for some laughs at the range.
We applying for 38 again next year. House is done so I'm ready.

Try losing a little draw weight also, if its too heavy you may be throwing a little fatigue into the situation. Shoot close with your eyes closed, 10yds and less.

Target panic sucks! I've been there and have somewhat solved it. I got it when I went from finger shooting to a release.

Hang in there and don't shoot more than about 10 shots per session. Don't give yourself a chance to flinch.

Good Luck
Pupster

I had target panic bad a few years ago. You truely never get rid of it. You learn to live with it and you handle the target panic inlieu of it handling you. I bought a book on the subject when i first realized what was happening. What I personally gained from it was that shooting is as much physcological as it is physical. So you have to train your mind in the same way you train your muscles. You have to get the " feel " of a good hold , shot and follow through in your brain. This is what your subconcience has to remember not the flinches. The close up shooting is one of my excersises that i do with my eyes closed because your tring to train your subconcience to what a good shot feels like and the motions that go into taking that shot. I read somewhere that over 100 different processes take place in your mind and body to shoot an arrow. If one of those things is trained wrong then your shot will suffer. Don't be scared of this thing. Time will heal your problem along with good practice. Practice shooting short periods 10 - 15 arrows concentrating on visualing the shot. Start with form amd work towards follow through and you'll know when you've beat this thing because the shot will come together without you having to think about it. Good luck.

Top Bottom