Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

IW podcast on Nine Finger Chronicles- KEEP IOWA GREAT!!!!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Hope I did an ok job representing IW. :). Did this for the state & desire to help protect the greatest whitetail state in the country. Hope I didn’t let you down. & sorry if I was “obnoxious” ;) :p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O.
Nine finger chronicles - Dan - does a heck of a job. Great with his questions & digging for the truth. I was thoroughly impressed with him & what he puts out. Give a listen. Few links below…. But Available anywhere you can podcasts…..

The Instagram link is really great too…

One of my favorite podcasts, Dan does a great job. Well done Skip. I think it's interesting to listen to the discussion on how crossbows may actually be DETRIMENTAL to hunter recruitment, instead of the "accepted" talking point that they are good for new hunters. I think it's great to point out that even NRs want to keep Iowa great, even if it means less (or the status quo) opportunities at tags. The point I like to make on that topic is:

Let's say they bump up the NR tags. That MAY shave one year off of a NR application time, but would seriously increase the user-days on public lands, putting more hunters on a limited area, increasing competition, and likely impacting the buck age structure. Is it worth trading a year in the draw for a worse hunting experience? Hell no. Just my 2 cents.

I thought you did a great job and it was a great listen. Hunters shouldn't apologize for fighting for what they believe in and not just playing defense!

I think you did a good job Skip. One thing that contradicts these politicians who tell us they are only trying to increase opportunity is page 39 of the current hunting regulations. We have a youth deer season where youth can use a gun (or essentially any other weapon) but not a xbow. If they were so concerned about increased opportunity especially with kids why would they limit kid's weapon choices? I'm not advocating for adding weapons or seasons but just find it funny how these politicians will peddle these lies about opportunity instead of stating the truth about wanting to sell more guns/xbows or kill more deer to please their big campaign donors. Hunters need to start holding some of these people accountable or I agree we risk losing a very fragile excellent hunting state.

I think maybe the best point of the whole podcast was that of stating that Iowa provides opportunity to shoot mature deer AND a basket rack yearling if one so chooses. The regulations allow both options to exist. There is zero legitimacy to the argument that the laws are restrictive on opportunity (weapons, seasons, etc). If you cannot find opportunity within the current regulations, go play bingo on weekends.

Excellent podcast all points spot on! Side note I do feel that there is a large amount of complacency amongst resident hunters here in our state. It' s been so good for so long its almost "expected" and "normal". The reality and truth is that all of this normal great deer hunting quality can slip away quickly. Lets keep Iowa great!!

Listened and thought you did a great job. As a Missourian (southern Missouri no less), you hit the nail on the head with our state and the timing of firearms season. I wish they would start it the following weekend after Thanksgiving and get it out of the rut. I believe it is Missouri's greatest detriment. Sadly, I believe there have been times where this has been brought to the powers that be and it just doesn't move them.

The one thing I wish he would have played debil's advocate on...which I would...I know you guys talk about non-resident landowners. And yes, I do see this as a slipper slope and your view. But, what if they had a minimum acreage like Kansas' 80 acre to guarantee either (1) archery OR (1) shotgun tag? The other side of that is, with more NR landowners seeking 80 acre plus size properties, that drives up / solidifies land values as your market has gotten bigger / stronger. However, yes this could be a threat to the residents.

Listened and thought you did a great job. As a Missourian (southern Missouri no less), you hit the nail on the head with our state and the timing of firearms season. I wish they would start it the following weekend after Thanksgiving and get it out of the rut. I believe it is Missouri's greatest detriment. Sadly, I believe there have been times where this has been brought to the powers that be and it just doesn't move them.

The one thing I wish he would have played debil's advocate on...which I would...I know you guys talk about non-resident landowners. And yes, I do see this as a slipper slope and your view. But, what if they had a minimum acreage like Kansas' 80 acre to guarantee either (1) archery OR (1) shotgun tag? The other side of that is, with more NR landowners seeking 80 acre plus size properties, that drives up / solidifies land values as your market has gotten bigger / stronger. However, yes this could be a threat to the residents.
I totally understand what your saying but in my head I keep wondering how people who purchased land in a state they cant hunt every year(which there are easy ways around this) continue to complain about not being able to hunt. As Skip mentioned in the Podcast, they knew what they signed up for. Easy solution....dont buy land here!! Then this argument is null and void

I totally understand what your saying but in my head I keep wondering how people who purchased land in a state they cant hunt every year(which there are easy ways around this) continue to complain about not being able to hunt. As Skip mentioned in the Podcast, they knew what they signed up for. Easy solution....dont buy land here!! Then this argument is null and void
It is true NR's knew what they signed up for, but to be fair it was not a 4-5 year wait back in the early 2000's. It was more like every other year for bow and you could get a tag every year for gun or late muz, no problem.
The internet and video stars like Drury's, Lakosky's, etc. have all pushed Iowa to the level of fame it now has and made that draw length what it is today. NR's who have owned land long enough and seen the wait time go from every other year to 4 or 5 years, that's a major difference. You also used to be able to get a doe tag for bow season and at least hunt your land but that went away as well. I guess my point is, things as they are today are not what they were even a short 15 years ago for the NR landowner.

I was looking to buy a farm about 5 years ago as a NR. I told the well-known land agent I was concerned about not being able to hunt my own farm. He said don't worry about that, a lot of my clients don't live here but claim they do. So, I wonder how hard Iowa really enforces this? If you buy a small cabin/house it is probably easy to claim you live there 6 months a year. If you really want to know if someone lives there, ask them where their kids go to school, where their wife works, or what church they attend. I'm betting some of the well-known TV personalities that own land in Iowa really don't live there.

Saw a guy comment today that farmers applying for depredation tags should have to enlist in the IHAP program. Genius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BINGO!!!! Genius!!! So COMMON SENSE!!!! But - common sense in our government is severely lacking!!! But it shouldn’t …. So- seriously, why isn’t this being proposed????

Rozenboob’s buddies that want all the deer killed- why can’t the DNR put them on a list for public access????? Gets their deer #’s down and creates access for those that need it. VS!!!!!…… killing off deer in other areas that don’t need it!!! We need some changes folks. Common sense changes!!!!

Skip, I want to thank you for spending the time and effort to put this video together as well as the nine finger podcast. I think it was 100% spot on. I personally have been an IBA member for years however never pushed it on any of my friends. That has changed. Picked up five new members last night at our thirsty Thursday gathering!

Dan's is one of the first whitetail podcasts I listened to. Nice work Skip, I think you got your point across well.

This NR landowner situation reminds me of liberals leaving liberal states for conservative ones and then voting for the same stuff that ruined their old states. Iowa is great because of the regs, people want to come here because of the quality of deer, which is a direct result of those regs, then they want to change the regs. It's the definition of insanity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I was looking to buy a farm about 5 years ago as a NR. I told the well-known land agent I was concerned about not being able to hunt my own farm. He said don't worry about that, a lot of my clients don't live here but claim they do. So, I wonder how hard Iowa really enforces this? If you buy a small cabin/house it is probably easy to claim you live there 6 months a year. If you really want to know if someone lives there, ask them where their kids go to school, where their wife works, or what church they attend. I'm betting some of the well-known TV personalities that own land in Iowa really don't live there.
I’ve heard they are really chasing a well known crew for living in other states, but getting resident tags. They’ve been cracking down on that crew in other places as well so hard to say. But the other side to, the “famous” hunters get the stupid governor tags all the time. So if you are famous you get tags, where the non resident landowner doesn’t. Let me be clear, I want Zero governor tags still don’t want to see any changes- I’d like to buy the neighboring 60 acres, but the moment the rule would change I might as well kiss that goodbye- I make Iowa wages, so it’s going to be awhile before I can afford it. If I could get that bought, just to throw this point, I would potentially have the largest block of timber for 10 miles in any direction- which is crazy to think a total of 80 acres woods is “big” but pieces keep going broke down and bought- it’s only going to get worse.

I’ve heard they are really chasing a well known crew for living in other states, but getting resident tags. They’ve been cracking down on that crew in other places as well so hard to say. But the other side to, the “famous” hunters get the stupid governor tags all the time. So if you are famous you get tags, where the non resident landowner doesn’t. Let me be clear, I want Zero governor tags still don’t want to see any changes- I’d like to buy the neighboring 60 acres, but the moment the rule would change I might as well kiss that goodbye- I make Iowa wages, so it’s going to be awhile before I can afford it. If I could get that bought, just to throw this point, I would potentially have the largest block of timber for 10 miles in any direction- which is crazy to think a total of 80 acres woods is “big” but pieces keep going broke down and bought- it’s only going to get worse.
I can confirm that IDNR has a tax professional on staff who monitors these situations and they do go after people with PO boxes, cabins they claim they live in, etc etc. I'm sure some slip through the cracks, but Iowa does take those sorts of fraud seriously.

Great listen Skip. I liked how direct and stern you were with it. That surprised me a bit, but it is for sure what is needed to get the point across.

Skips been getting around. I caught him for the 2nd time on the land podcast the other day and also on the exodus podcast. Mr. Popularity, I guess!;)

Top Bottom