Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

January Rut

Blaine

Went shed hunting up North of Moorehead on Sat. morning with some buddies. At about 7:45 we saw a 170 class buck locked down with a doe in a cornfield. She tried to get to the timber twice and he cut her off both times. A mile down the road we see another decent buck locked down with a doe in the corn. Pretty weird to see on January 21. I've thought all along it was a strange rut this year. P.S. Didn't find any sheds, but saw several bucks still wearing 2 antlers.

It happens. I saw 9 bucks dogging one single doe once in late February during a shed hunt. It was one of the most intense chases I have seen. Watched them for a half hour off the road.

The yearling does always come in late. The last day of late muzzleloader I had 7 bucks all chasing closely behind a young doe.

I've had 3 scrapes in my back yard re-freshened a couple different times in the snow the last week or two. I thought that was weird.. They have the cedar limbs above them tore up and everything.

Those late breedings are the only way to get a small enough deer for Bonker to shoot. I don't think it's about the shooting as much as the dragging em out that concerns him.

Over the last couple weeks hunting in town I have been watching some bucks eye balling and nudging some doe. Right before Thanksgiving I had a doe show up where hunt that had twins that looked like they just lost their spots and they were tiny. Good thing for them it's been a mild winter for the most part.

Top Bottom