Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Jawbone aging

DGorman

These are the jawbones from my 2010 buck and my 2011 buck. I thought I'd put them up here and see if anyone had some age ideas.

2012-02-19_12-14-53_567.jpg

The top jaw is from 2011, and the bottom is from 2010.

IMG_0612.jpg

This is the 2011 buck.

IMG_0561.jpg

This is the 2010 buck.

Let me know what you guys think.

I will probably send them in. What throws me off is the smaller racked buck's teeth look more worn. The 2010 buck looked small when he came in, and I wasn't sure about age, but no way could I let him walk. He was 172 lbs dressed, with very little fat on him. I have a trailcam pic from 2008 of a good 8 about 250 yards from where I shot this guy. The turned in beams make me wonder if it's the same deer, but I just don't think he's old enough.
The other buck looked pretty good when I called to him from about 125 yards as light was fading. I couldn't get a real good look at his rack, but the mass looked ok. Once I decided to shoot if given the opportunity I never looked at his rack again. I thought he was a nice 8. Kind of surprised when I found him.
Thanks for all the replies.

Its all genetics, and it could be that the smaller rack buck was headin down hill as to why he is smaller but older

Top Bottom