Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Jays self bow

matchedset

PMA Member
This is a bow I am currently buliding for Shovelbuck. I cut the tree down and started hacking on it, jay yours is the one on top. The two snakeskinned back bows are mine, I have taken deer with both.
5037jays_bow.JPG
just about done .
5037jays_bow_2.JPG
5037jays_bow1.JPG

A few more pics for ya . I think thats was left handed wasnt it jay? Man it sure came out sweet. Just about ready to shoot it for the first time.I guess Ill make it right handed.
5037jays_bow_7-med.JPG
5037jays_bow_8.JPG

Good looking bow! Easy to see that your Osage didn't come from southern Iowa. I have never seen a piece that long that straight and nice here. Any specs on the bow? Good job, keep shaven!

Thanks for all the great output. the bow is 70 inches long and pulls 55 lbs @ 28 inches.As far as the tree being striaght I had to steam it a little bit. The tree was cut down in central Illinois.I have made alot of bows, I really enjoy hunting with them the most. If anyone needs pointed in the right direction let me know I have some nice staves for sale.Ill share what I have learned.

Joseph, Now I know how you felt as I posted progress pics of "Reviver"
grin.gif

The suspence of getting it in my hands is killing me.
grin.gif
Can't wait. You do awsome work. A real craftsman.

It's really cool that because of this site we can all share in the talents of the great people who visit here. Great work on the new bow! A bow made by a frind has so much more "value" than one hanging in a store. May it shoot fast and true!

here it is jay . Now I have the terrible job of shooting it about 50 times to see if the tiller will change. man it sure shoots sweet.I am going to put the finish on it this weekend and ship on monday, hope you like it jay. it was fun building it for you. nice hunk of osage!
5037jays_bow_11.JPG
5037jays_bow_10.JPG

awesome post Matchedset! It was cool to see the start to finish. I am sure there were alot more man hours in that true work of art. I have a feeling it's new owner won't let it sit on the shelf for to long.

Wow! That looks great. I can't wait to get her out and shoot it. I forsee a skip work day when it arrives just so I can get to know her.
grin.gif

Awsome bow Joe!
waytogo.gif

I received the osage longbow today folks and what a blast to shoot! The feel, the looks, the outstanding craftsmanship are just too good to put into words. It is a nasty, hot, humid day here so I only shot around 35 or so arrows from it, but it performed excellent.
There's only one thing currently that I don't like about it.................Joe, you didn't sign your name as bowyer on it. We'll fix that come "The Gathering"
peace.gif

552Osage_bow-med.JPG

26404-archer[1].gif

Hey that is one awsome looking bow Joe. I will be getting in touch with you soon. I can't wait to have one of my own.

If anyone is intrested I do give bowbuilding classes. Shoot me a PM if you want more details.I am so gald you like it jay.

In you've got room in the vehicle, Joe, bring a few of your self-made bows along to the Shed Gathering. I'm sure some folks there would love to examine your handiwork and visit with you about bow building.

Top Bottom