Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Jerky

D

deerslayer22788

What kind of deer jerky do you guys/gals like the best? What kind of flavoring?

Just Wondering,

deerslayer22788

Myself, I prefer whole muscle jerky over the
ground meat type, and mesquite seasoning is
my favorite with teriyaki and cajun being close seconds. I make about 6-8 pounds(before
curing) to take elk hunting every fall, it goes a long way when your're looking at freeze dried meals all week for dinner!

Steve

High Mountain jeerky cure. We've been using it for a few year's, and that stuff is great. We have to beat visitors away from the freezer (just kidding). Anyway, I'm pretty sure you can find it at Cabela's, but I really don't know where else.

This is the way we make our deer jerky.
Deer Jerky

Deer Jerky

3lbs of lean venison 1 to 2 teaspoons of pepper
1 tablespoon salt 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon onion powder cup Soy sauce
1 teaspoon Garlic powder 1 tablespoon prepared mustard

Cut venison into to thick strips mix all other ingredients together and pour over meat. Marinate overnight then remove from marinade and dry with paper towel. Dry in oven until dry at 200 degree about 12 hours. Or place in dehydrator for about 12 to 14 hours depending on thickness of meat.

We really like high mountain jerky cure. It comes in many flavors, but our favorates are the original and all of the peper blends.

I just started marinating some thinly sliced beef strips this evening in order to make some jerky this week. I was wondering how hot the oven should be and how long to cook it. Thanks for the info!

I plan on hanging them from the oven rack with toothpicks. Does this make sense to you? My aunt's boyfriend does it that way. Is there any other way?

When I make jerky I hang it from the racks with toothpicks and place tin foil on the bottom of the oven to make my wife happy and not get drippings everywhere. I turn the oven up to about 220 degres and stick a butter knife blade in the door so that some air can flow in. It usually takes about 6-8 hours for the meat to get done depending on how thick I slice it. I use most of the ingredients that I others use but also add liquid smoke which gives it great flavor.

Hey Javelina! I poured your brew over some central deer meat today and it is soaking in my frig right now. If it tastes as good as my frig smells I'll owe you. OKhunter-thanks for the toothpick trick-I'll try it tomorrow. thanks guys.

This is the receipe we use for each pound of meat:
5 tablespoons soy sauce
5 tablespoons worcestershire
2 tablespoons heinz 57
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion salt
1/2 teaspoon lawry's salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon tabasco
option;
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar

the main ingredients make a spicy jerky,if you add the honey and brown sugar it gives it a sweet taste.enjoy

I hope you enjoy the flavor I have used this for years and it makes the best jerky I have had that was home made!
Let me know how it turns out!

Top Bottom