Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Jerky

bushman

Looking to make some jerky for deer hunting, anyone have any really good recipies that you would like to share??

I brought some to work that got rave reviews. I wish I could remember the name as it was a commercial kit that I bought at Hy-Vee. It comes in a little cardboard box (kind of teepee shaped). They offered a couple of different flavors and I liked the pepper best. There is a flavor packet and "curing" packet inside. You mix it togethor with the thinly sliced LEAN meat (I found the fatty areas to be a little gamey), refrigerate overnight, then I hung the slices on the oven rack with toothpicks. Set the oven on low and monitor how it dried. I'm pretty sure it was a Hi Mountain kit. See:
http://www.alliedkenco.com/seasonings/jerky/jerky_hi_mountain.htm

I use the hams for the jerky that way your not chewing on rawhide. Here goes my recipe:

Cut 3-5 lbs. of thin strip meat and wash well. Put it in a container that can be sealed.
Take 1 1/2 cup teriyaki and pour it over the strip meat.
use about 1/8 c soy sauce and 1/8 cup worchestire sauce add to meat
Sprinkle course black pepper generously as well as a little garlic powder over meat.

Stir all the ingredients together in with the meat and seal.
Refrigerate for 24 hours miking it up 2-3 times in that period.

I use a dehydrator for the drying process.

Place strips on the racks and then I sprinkle hot shot pepper blend (comes in a red bottle by McCormick or something like that)over all the meat to give it just a little bite.

Let dry for about 7-9 hours or until you think it is dry enough. Depends on the dehydrator as well. Soon as you are done drying it put it in a ziploc or other airtight container and enjoy.

Oh by the way when your done with it send some my way so I can taste what a cornfed deer is like and not a pine needle fed deer is.
smile.gif
grin.gif

Your correct. The brand name is High Mountain and it's hard to beat. Not too expensive and it can make a lot of jerky. I use a $30.00 dehydrator that works great and takes 5-6 hours roughly to finish. Cabela's offers a deluxe stainless steel model that from time to time will go for $99.00 (regularly $200 plus) that can do a big batch in a shorter amount of time.

I use the same product, and I have been getting the mesquite flavored one, lately. Plus, I add my own touch to jazz it up a bit. For a two-pound batch, I add 2 teaspoons of black pepper, 1 1/2 teaspoons of cajun seasoning, and 3/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. It gives it a spicy taste that won't hurt you. I own an American Harvest dehydrator that cooks up a batch in about 3 1/2 hours. It has a nice fan that really forces the air up through the jerky trays. Speeds things up a lot. There is a more expensive one I didn't get that cooks even quicker. I turn the dehydrator off before the jerky gets too dried out. Then I put it in a large plastic ziploc bag and let it steam itself for awhile to soften it back up. The jerky I get from this method is awesome.

I probably turned about 150 lbs of venison into jerky last year. High mountain does an excellent job! I like the adding of the cracked pepper that others have mentioned. Gives it a little zip.
I also wanted to try some other kinds so I picked up some "Totally Wild" seasonings at the classic last year. (made here in Iowa) I was very impressed and will be changing to that this year. They said they sell it at certain Hy-vee stores. But you should be able to get ahold of them at www.totallywildseasonings.com or at 1-866-523-4041. I tried there jalapeno and cajun. Real good flavor and again they said if you want it hot add the cracked pepper. A great product from an Iowa business!

I'm cooking up my first batch tonight using the High Mountain mixture. I bought my package at Scheel's here in Des Moines. I looked for it in Hy-Vee, but didn't find it there. Using backstraps and our oven. I can tell I'm going to like it. Smelled so good when I was mixing it up.

what!?!?!!
using backstraps for jerky is like using a mercedes benz in a demo derby!

i spice my jerky up by adding a couple DROPS of "dave's total insanity gormet ot sauce" to a liquid jerky marinate. then sprinkling on some McCormick grill mates seasoning, and lowery's seasoned pepper.

This is our recipe for Jerky.
2 T. liquid smoke
1 1/2 tsp. mustard seed
1 1/2 T. seasoning salt
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 T. salt
1 1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup vineger
2 cups hot water
1/4 cup worstishire sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce

We cut out meat into strips and marinate it over night and put them in a dehydrator. It is VERY GOOD!
It also makes EXCELENT Turkey Jerky! Fact is that the only thing we do with our Wild Turkey is use this recipe and make jerky with it.

I've used backstraps for jerky before. It lasts alot longer than just grilling them. The best jerky I ever made was from the back straps of a mule deer. Try it sometime.

I figured I'd catch heck for this. Hey, it's better than letting the locker grind it up into hamburger with the rest of the deer like I use to do. I can tell you this, the finished product was much better than expected. Very tasty!!

Top Bottom