Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Jet Boil

ParaOps

I was in the Black Hills a few weeks ago and spent one day hiking to Harney Peak. I took the usual trail mix, jerky and water combo and as I was sitting there having lunch....if you can call it that....wishing I had something warm to eat. I did some checking and found a really cool product (the Jet Boil PCS) that I've used the crap out of since I bought it.

Imagine an insulated mug with a burner and fuel source packed inside. Unpack the burner, stack the mug and burner and you have a packable camp stove capable of boiling 1 cup of cold water in less than 1 min. You can boil up to 2 cups at a time , add whatever dehydrated stuff you want and eat up! Make fresh coffee...whatever.

The main reason I wanted a stove like the Jet Boil was for all day hunts....come the rut. It gets to be a pretty long day and getting out of the tree and being able to take a break with a hot lunch....without having to go home to do it, is pretty sweet.

http://www.Jetboil.com

Nothing like a hot meal on a cold day. This is what I use in a nearby shed at lunch time. Can of soup and a hot cup of coffee. Do a search on "Mountain House Food". They have some outstanding stuff!

Stove

A Jetboil is on my purchase list for my DIY elk hunt. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Jetboil is on my purchase list for my DIY elk hunt. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif </div></div>

You won't regret that purchase at all. There's nothing like a hot cup of coffee once you climb out of your sleeping bag. Take along the folger's coffee bags - very convenient and light weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Field Service</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's the link to Mountain House. Quality stuff!

Food </div></div>

I love their stuff. After hunting all day we would each eat the two serving size and that would be just the right amount of food. I like the beef stew, chicken n rice and any of their stir fry style foods. I wasn't too fond of the spaghetti though.

sounds like a good idea... I've been saving up MRE's back home.. they have a heater inside of them and up to 3000 calories worth of stuff to eat........not always the best tasting though, but there are some good ones. Maybe I'll have to look into that jetboil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AIRASSAULT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sounds like a good idea... I've been saving up MRE's back home.. they have a heater inside of them and up to 3000 calories worth of stuff to eat........not always the best tasting though, but there are some good ones. Maybe I'll have to look into that jetboil </div></div>The MRE's were better then the old C-Rat's. I use to trade a case of C-Rat's for a case of beer to the germans when we were in the field. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You won't regret that purchase at all. There's nothing like a hot cup of coffee once you climb out of your sleeping bag. Take along the folger's coffee bags - very convenient and light weight.

</div></div>

JetBoil makes a coffee press. Just bought it. I tried the coffee bags and didn't think they came close to home brewed. The press allows you to take fresh ground coffee with you (I grind enough for 2 cups at a time and seal that in a vacuum seal bag), boil water after adding the fresh ground coffee. The press is simply a screen on the end of a rod that sticks up through the mug's lid. Push the rod down flush with the lid and it strains out all the grounds leaving fresh brewed java just like you were at home. It works great!

There is more mess created using the press as opposed to the bags (grounds to deal with), but the taste is worth it.

Heck, give me an MRE and I am in Heaven! I liss my MRE's from the military. Call me crazy, but I liked them. If I could buy them by the box full as a civilian I would. Hmm...gonna have to research the web now! Hungry....

Release hunter... Im pretty sure you can buy them as a civilian. I think Ive seen them in the military surplus store in Iowa City. They are kindof expensive tho.. I want to say maybe $5 a pkg if I remember correctly.

Beef stroganoff and MAC N Cheese have been my favorite Mountain House flavors. Wouldn't call them great, but they taste dang good when you cold and hungry out in the bush!

If you're looking for MRE's look for the brown bag kind, the new clear bag ones like they sell at JAX suck.... We use them for paintball events when we only have a limited amount of time. They're not bad at all, I can eat about anything...

Top Bottom