Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Jim's first bowkill and on video

bpbowhunter

My cousin Jim came up and hunted whitetail for his first time last weekend. He had an incredible first weekend in a tree stand with me. Sat morning I think we saw nearly 20 deer. He had a few opportunities to take some does, and small buck or two. We didn't get out Sat evening. Sun morning we saw close to 15 deer. He had an a couple more opportunities at some fawns, a nontypical 8 point buck, and a typical 3.5 yr old 8 point buck(which would have been an amazing first deer to take I.M.O.). Had that 8 at 25 yards but couldn't seal the deal. We all learn from our mistakes, and how easy they can pick up some movement, especially with two big bodies hangin off the side of a tree! Sunday evening, we hunted the same stand I took my giant from last year. Saw what we thought was a good size doe roughly 250 yards away in a cut bean field, and she started making her way to us. As the deer got about 40 yards out we realized it was a spike buck. Jim asked if he should shoot and I said that is up to you. May be the last opportunity this weekend, so he elected to give it a shot. The deer came in as I predicted, downwind of the decoy, did his dance back and forth as he decided if he wanted a piece of the buck in challenge. I told Jim to wait for a broadside shot, then when the deer gave him a quartering away (which I had previously told Jim, thats as good a shot opportunity you can get since it really opens up the kill zone) and I told him there you go, let it fly. He zeroed in on his spot, and smashed the spike with his two blade rage! The arrow didn't pass through as it stuck into the opposite shoulder...smoked him! We got to see the deer go down and everything. I am not sure who was more excited, me or Jim. What a moment to remember for all time. REALLY glad we got it all on video to relive over and over again. Feel free to check out the video link below on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GSplvB99X0

Nice job. Loved your excitement. Always great to be along when someone gets their first deer.

Top Bottom