Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Johanna's Buck Harvest Story

blake

Life Member
Hi,
My name is Johanna Hogenson. My parents are Dale & Julie Hogenson. I am 13 years old and this year I shot a seven-point buck. This was my first buck; I’ve shot one doe in the past.
I have a 36 cal. Muzzleloader but it is to small to hunt with so I used my Dad’s 50 cal. I had never shot it before so I had to practice. I shot bowling pins off a post at 60 yards away. Then my Dad and I scouted out an area to hunt in. We had found some pretty good sheds in this woods before and had seen some good sign so decided this would be a good spot to try. I got on my old camo coveralls and went to the woods.
The first day my Dad and I went out was Monday. We sat in 2 different spots and saw deer but none were in range or that I wanted. The second day was Tuesday and we only sat in one spot that’s all it took. We went out right after school like we always do. We hadn’t seen any deer and it was getting dark. I was bored and was entertaining myself by watching all the squirrels in the trees, when all of a sudden my Dad whispered to me “deerâ€. I looked up and saw a buck. I got ready to shoot but I couldn’t because of the trees in the way. Dad grunted but I couldn’t get the shot and the whole time I was saying to myself, “just a few more steps, just a few more stepsâ€. And then the he took a few more steps, like he was listening to my thoughts, and I took the shot. I couldn’t see because of the smoke and my dad didn’t see him run, but I thought I had missed. Then when the smoke cleared I saw that I had dropped him on the spot.
We ran up to him and I was so excited I said, “Dad look I’m shaking†and I was, I was just so excited that I just shot my first buck!!
When we got back to Chase The Adventure I had to call Perry. He told me that if I got a deer I had to call him because he wanted to help with it. When he got there we all went to get it and take pictures. I had practiced shooting with 50 grains and it was only then that my Dad told me that he had loaded the gun with 100 grains of powder. I was so surprised that I couldn’t really tell the difference, maybe it was because I was so excited.
I am so glad to be able to go hunting and I always have fun whether I get one or not. Next year I won’t shoot anything smaller than a seven-point buck!

1223honna3-med.jpg

What a great hunting story you shared with us Johanna.
smile.gif

You maybe the next lady outdoor writer.

Congratulations on this fine story and the buck you got.
waytogo.gif

Great story, Johanna, and thanks for sharing your hunt with us. I love it when kids take their parents hunting. I have a 13-year old son that takes me out all the time (except when I get in trouble). I bet you have many fun and memorable hunts in the years to come.

Conratulations on your first buck! You will not soon forget it! Good Luck next season. Keep us posted on your adventures
grin.gif

Top Bottom