Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

John Deere Knife

Shovelbuck

This project started about a year ago when a frequent customer talked with me about making a special knife as a gift for her husband who is a John Deere technician. The knife had to be forged from one of the pieces of steel that rotate in the back of a combine to chop stuff up. Sorry, but I don't know what they are actually called but they sure are good steel! My little forge wasn't up to the task to get this done efficiently so the forging of the raw steel was farmed out. After that, the blade was final shaped and polished to a mirror like finish. This blade is also distal tapered, which means not only does the blade taper towards the front, but the tang also tapers to the rear. This, along with some metal removed from the center of the tang makes for a very well balanced knife. The knife also uses a piece of walnut that his Great Grandfather felled many decades ago.

This is what the raw piece of steel looked like....
IMG_8573.jpg

Forged to shape......
DSCN2397.jpg

Finished........
IMG_8465.jpg

Overall length of knife is about 10.5 inches.

Awesome knife! Good thing it wasn't made from an international or ford, probably wouldn't have been able to cut melted butter ;)

LYON said:
Awesome knife! Good thing it wasn't made from an international or ford, probably wouldn't have been able to cut melted butter ;)

Don't forget New Holland or Cat. Sweet knife!!

Top Bottom