Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Jonah's first deer

mole

My ten year old Jonah finally connected this weekend and took his first deer ever.
grin.gif

Jonah has been my deer hunting partner since he was five and has been there for several harvest, but had yet to kill his own deer.

After several practice sessions, planting food plots (I had pics, but the wife deleted them
frown.gif
), and scouting we were ready to hunt.

The first weekend proved to be a test of nerves as Jonah got excited and missed the first 3 deer.
confused.gif
No problem for this guy. We went back to the range to make sure it wasn't the gun. The gun was on and we were ready for the weekend.

Saturday rolled around and we found ourselves in the box blind. As we sat down and began to eat a sandwich 3 yearlings stepped into the field 25 yards from the blind. I told Jonah he could shoot if wanted or just wait for something bigger. He calmly handed me his sandwich and grabbed his gun. I had the deer in the camera and Jonah slowly squeezed the trigger. There was no doubt the deer was hit.

After looking at the video I could see the shot was at the last rib. I climbed out of the blind and checked for blood at the field edge and was shocked to see the doe get up and run
frown.gif
I was ready to shoot myself for possibly ruining my sons hunt. We went home and decided to wait till early morning. We set the alarm for 1:00 a.m and off we went.

After 50 minutes we were unable to find any blood. I then told Jonah we were looking for a needle in a haystack and we needed God's help. At this point I went against what I wanted to do and walked to the bottom of a terrace, and there she lay. The coyotes beat us to her, but I was one proud Daddy. Jonah was ready to call everyone, but it had to wait till morning.

298HPIM0426-med.JPG

If I don't see another deer all year my season is now complete. It was a long hunt, but well worth the wait.
grin.gif

mole

Congrats to you both! Enjoy them while there little.They'll be grown and on their own before you know it.My sons 18 and I still don't want to cut the cord.
frown.gif

Sweet...congrats!
waytogo.gif

If everything happened perfectly, there really wouldn't be a lot of learning going on.
grin.gif

Awsome, big congrats go out to your son. Thats something he will never forget.

Top Bottom