Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Judging Age

Bighole

Anybody know a web site where you could download pictures or other information that would help less experienced hunters to better determine the age of a buck, before it is on the ground. I am trying to get the group I hunt with to become more selective in the bucks that harvested. Thanks in advance, Jason.

Great topic for discussion.

Determining age is not an exact science but there are some key traits to look for. Sometimes experience is your best ally in aging a buck on hoof.

In Iowa - Mature deer tend to have "mature antlers" and often the size of the rack can help determine the age of the buck. Assuming your group is from Iowa - I would first try to make some antler size minimums to help restrict the shooting of younger bucks. This may be the least subjective and most effective management method to use.

In the areas I hunt
- 1 1/2 year buck carries a typical basket rack of 4 - 8 points with around a 8-10" spread.

- 2 1/2 year bucks typically carry 6-10 points with a 10-15" spread and very little mass.

- 3 1/2 year bucks are the tough ones - their racks can score more (125"+) and look bigger than some mature (4 1/2 year old) bucks in your area.

If it's the 3 1/2 year bucks your trying to protect you will have to work with your group on picking out some other characteristics of mature deer.

That's enough from me though - what is everyone else's input on characteristics of the monarchs roaming our woods?

Bighole,

Great topic and a great goal for your group. This is the bottom line in qdm. Unfortunately it is a challenge and takes lots of practice. It is one of the two key questions whenever I'm talking 'bucks' with my friends. How old is he and what will he score?

Onecam has you off to a great start. In Iowa both body characteristics and rack give good clues on aging bucks the first few years.

If you want more detail, and practice, the best information I've been able to find is a book and a video. They are both on this website, http://www.sfasu.edu/forestry/kroll/deer.html.

If you can get your group to pass the 1's and 2's (1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old bucks) you will have accomplished alot. If you get to the point where hunters are passing top end 3's you will be setting yourself up for some world class bucks. If you haven't already seen it check out the video on my website. It shows a 170's gross 3 1/2 in 1999 and the same buck as a 240"+ gross buck the next summer.

Good luck and good hunting!
Old Buck
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

Age estimation in my opinion is a subjective assessment. Ones opinion on what they think judges age may be completely different than another, despite experience. Onecams assessment on antler size correlating with age is as near as accurate as you can get. After 3-1/2, it getts really difficult and is a guess at best. Knowing the deer in your herd is the best possible way to know the age structure. Finding shed antlers from the same deer and developing a time line as to when they were grown is accurate, seeing the same deer grow up and passing him, etc. If you want more mature deer on you place and you have several hunters in that area, set minimum antler size requirements for your group and stick to that religously. If your group has little experience on judging antler score/size, just look through the photo gallery here, some of the deer will have scores posted with the picture.

I've watched at least one of the videos Larry mentioned and it is worth the 45 minutes or so to watch. It was the Kroll video.

Bucks aged 4 1/2 and older will often start to show a little sagging of the back, a swayback effect.

A less than totally sophisticated QDM approach can still work wonders... just don't ever shoot the pencil-racked 1 1/2's and hold off on the "starting to look like something" 2 1/2's. If you can get a group to do this I will practically guarantee that you will be soon seeing numbers of mature bucks, age 3 1/2 on up. Don't let anyone buffalo you with the "cull buck" copout.

Good info folks. Good summary OneCam!

Experience is still the best teacher. Measuring racks can help develope a mental picture of antler groups. Measuring is something anyone can do, you don't have to be "official"

Checking out whole deer at every opportunity like at the lockers during shotgun season etc.. go on every deer recovery opportunity you can. Seeing more deer, builds a better database.

Use references like distance/height beyond the ears and the front end/rear end width/height views. Head size.

A true mature buck in Iowa tends to look like neck and chest girth max. meet at point behind the front legs. Once you know what to look for in a 200# deer, the rest is easy.

There are wimpy looking bucks that sport some nice headgear so antler judging is a valuable skill.

Field judging requires a commitment of time in the hunting process. Meaning the risk of missing an opportunity to be sure of your target.

"Time spent in the woods, is time well spent."

QDM and Trophy hunting may mean shooting a doe or going without. That's a tough thing for a real man to take.
grin.gif

Good subject!
waytogo.gif

Not trying to pimp the PMA Membership
busted.gif
but we are having some great discussion on Age Judging in the PMA forums.

Top Bottom