Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Jumping The String????

buckfever57

bowhunt or die
Tonight i had a really good feeling about going out hunting since it was cold and we had snow on the ground. Good news i saw 6 different bucks and 4 does and heard one hell of a fight between 2 big bucks im guessing. Bad news about 20 mins after the fighting here comes one of the bucks that i thought was big enough to shoot. I saw movement so i quick grabbed my bow and saw tall tines coming. I had to bleat at him to get him to stop. He was in my shooting lane and i know for a fact that he was 41 yards away. I use a single pin sight and had it set on my 35 yard mark and i held my pin right at bottom of his chest. I took my time and released my arrow and the lighted nock went right over his back...couldnt have missed by more than 2 inches.... and i watched him run off 40 yds and stop and look back. Good news is about dark im pretty sure i saw him dogging a doe about 50yds threw the brush from me. SO hopefully didnt spook him too bad. All the bucks i have seen are all spikes or lil basket racks and i would like to hold off for a lil older and more mature buck. After I missed i felt sick to my stomach... i have been bowhunting for 4 years now and i have passed on many littler bucks so i could shoot one this size and when the moment comes i miss.... So i guess im asking for what you guys have for tips about jumping the string and if there is anything i should do different. I know things happen for a reason and we are just getting to the good time of year so hopefully i can have some redemption. Any tips will help. Thanks!

Reduce the distance you shoot and/or make sure the deer is not on "pins and needles" when you shoot. If they are super alert, they can drop a considerable distance by the time your arrow gets to its target.

I'm sure when you bleated that put him on high alert and pretty antsy. The moment you let go of your string that buck probably dropped a good foot or more maybe. Just aim a little lower next time on shots from 25-40 yards. Just my $.02. Good luck!

I knew that bleating at him to make him stop would make him alert thats why I used my 35 yd mark and held low.. right at bottom of chest. I guess it wasnt enough and he jumped it more. Could have been me too but I didnt get nervous till i saw it fly over his back. Atleast it was a clean miss

35 yd mark low, and he was at 41 yds.. I hate to tell you this, but there's not much else u can do about that.. don't dare hold any lower Cuz not every deer will drop that much, and some not at all. Only thing you could have done is hold in front, anticipate where he would stop, and touch off a shot soon after he stopped. Or vice versa.. let him calm a little, and take another step before u shoot.

Best way to think about it... it wasn't meant to be, and you'll get another chance at hopefully one bigger yet;)

Top Bottom