Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Just a question

150plus

I shot at a deer last night at around 170 yards, he was running with another buck. When I shot, he stopped rather quickly, but due to smoke, I couldn't see if he lurched much. The other deer kept running into the ditch. After about 10 seconds my deer took off with his tail up, but not really fast. I waited a bit, then went to look for blood. Didn't find any blood, so I looked for churned up snow and tracks of a larger deer. I found just one set, which may have been the other buck. I later while sitting and collecting my thoughs had to very large bucks spook about 100 yards from me, but I'm not sure it was the same buck. My question is this, is it possible I hit the deer fatally, and he just stayed in the ditch, didn't leave any blood trail, and I walked past him during the dim lighted hour between 4:30 and 5:30? I'm tore up about this deer as he is to say the least a threat to a record.

go back and look.... just be careful maybe you hit him and hes bedded down there somewhere.... ive hit deer before with no blood trail because they bleed internaly.... but i do have to say i agree with gundog..... who knows??????????????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shackdaddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">go back and look.... just be careful maybe you hit him and hes bedded down there somewhere.... ive hit deer before with no blood trail because they bleed internaly.... but i do have to say i agree with gundog..... who knows?????????????? </div></div>

I hope it was a clean miss, I've just never had a deer stop when shot at. I'm going back out today at 330, I'll just head to where I last saw him and start looking. Who knows, maybe I'll find him dead or even on the hoof. If I can manage to kill him, I'll definitely be posting pics, as he is honestly the largest racked typical buck I've ever seen, live or stuffed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 150plus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope it was a clean miss, I've just never had a deer stop when shot at. I'm going back out today at 330, I'll just head to where I last saw him and start looking. Who knows, maybe I'll find him dead or even on the hoof. If I can manage to kill him, I'll definitely be posting pics, as he is honestly the largest racked typical buck I've ever seen, live or stuffed. </div></div>

Some deer are hit and don't even know they are hit.

I would make every effort possible to eliminate any doubt in your mind as to a hit or miss.

Good Luck!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 150plus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I If I can manage to kill him, I'll definitely be posting pics, as he is honestly the largest racked typical buck I've ever seen, live or stuffed. </div></div>

Those are some pretty big shoes to fill bud, hope we get to see him.

Hmm... Waiting for some pics. Hopefully. Really sounds like a miss to me beings that he stood there for 10seconds after the shot.

Dean

Well, the good news is I can sleep better at night, the bad news is the deer can as well. I walked around for an hour last night, and had a friend with me. He ranged my shot at closer to 220, meaning, not a snowballs chance in hell that I hit it. I don't know how I could have underestimated the distance that much, other than the deer is just that damn big. Oh well, one more weekend. I'll be trying to get some trail cam pics of the deer as well. I do know of a DNR agent from Fremont county who hunts the same area, he has seen this deer as well. He is a typical 6x6, and since I don't want people thinking I'm making things up, I'll refrain from telling you what he guesses the deer at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> He is a typical 6x6, and since I don't want people thinking I'm making things up, I'll refrain from telling you what he guesses the deer at. </div></div>

Please don't say 250... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

I agree with the statement above that says something along the lines of not a good shot to take when the deer is running and that far away.

LOL, he's not 250, closer to the 2oo or 210 area. I agree, looking back it was a dumb shot to take, so many things I could have done differently, whistled to stop him, yelled to stop him, grunted. I also could have not shot and just waited for the last hour to see if they would come back out of the woods to feed there. It was just one of those moments where you don't have much time to gauge distance, how fast he was running, his size, etc.

I recall reading an article in F&S a while back that covered the shooting proficiencies of 3-4 gun writers. They shot at targets at different distances with long arms. If memory serves, one “station” was shooting at a moving deer target (simulating a broadside deer). The results being that past 30-40 yards it’s pretty difficult to hit a running deer. My personal experience mirrors that of the article.

I’d have to say connecting on a 170+ yard shot at a running deer with a muzzle loader has a very, very low success rate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowhuntr311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm... Waiting for some pics. Hopefully. Really sounds like a miss to me beings that he stood there for 10seconds after the shot.

Dean

</div></div>

last year "my second year hunting" i called in a buck with a can call. nothing huge but bigger than any buck i had come 10 yards from me. i was on the ground. above the washout of a creek. i shot him in the brisket at 8 yards. he stood there and watched me for a good 30 seconds. then walked down the creek a ways and got to a spot where he could walk up TOWARDS ME.he rubbed a little tree and started heading my way. and let me tell you i was shaking real bad. he got within 10 yards of me. staring right at me. i pulled the bow back. forgot to reload an arrow!! he just stood and watched me. i got an arrow in, pulled back, and hit a limb. he took off. i dont know what the heck it was that made him not afraid of me. the only thing i can think of is i had on a scent pad under my boot and it had fresh doe tracks scent on it. i havent hunted on the ground since. i shaked for at least an hour after that happened. alot of you people wont believe it but its the honest to god truth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sofakingfast_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowhuntr311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm... Waiting for some pics. Hopefully. Really sounds like a miss to me beings that he stood there for 10seconds after the shot.

Dean

</div></div>

last year "my second year hunting" i called in a buck with a can call. nothing huge but bigger than any buck i had come 10 yards from me. i was on the ground. above the washout of a creek. i shot him in the brisket at 8 yards. he stood there and watched me for a good 30 seconds. then walked down the creek a ways and got to a spot where he could walk up TOWARDS ME.he rubbed a little tree and started heading my way. and let me tell you i was shaking real bad. he got within 10 yards of me. staring right at me. i pulled the bow back. forgot to reload an arrow!! he just stood and watched me. i got an arrow in, pulled back, and hit a limb. he took off. i dont know what the heck it was that made him not afraid of me. the only thing i can think of is i had on a scent pad under my boot and it had fresh doe tracks scent on it. i havent hunted on the ground since. i shaked for at least an hour after that happened. alot of you people wont believe it but its the honest to god truth. </div></div>

I believe it 100%.. been there and done that! except.. i reloaded and got him haha

With some rangefinders and a good rest that's not a dumb shot at all (in right conditions) with a smokepole that's well sighted in...

Top Bottom