Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Just never know about these whitetails!!

Iowagiants90

After shooting my bow buck i had a decision to make! what gun season to hunt, 1st,2nd or late muzz! with the 2 weekends to hunt and the late December early late Jan skiing trip i had lined up it was 2nd gun i would choose! knowing that the first weekend i would have rights to hunt a awesome farm i new my chances were good! the first Saturday I hunted in the evening on a cut cornfield that had winter wheat drilled in it! Around 4:30 the first deer stepped out a group of a few does and a nice 140s inch 10 around 400 to 500 yards down! they soon grazed a crossed the field and headed down to the creek! knowing that was happening and it was the first night on the farm i stayed put in my make-shift cedar blind! after that around 4:50 or so another group of deer popped out of the crp,this time 3 bucks the biggest being a 160 inch 8 and 2 130 inch bucks! the 8 was def a shooter for me! they came out the same trail the first group had came out on, thinking in my head i will be closer to that trail as those deer did the same as the first group! Making it even worse a fawn came out on the same trail following here was a 180in + ten that was nose to the ground on the fawn right down to the creek! my heart sank a world class ten that was just out of distance! knowing that i had 1 more night to sit on the farm i around 100 yards of the trail they were entering the field i was very windy and the conditions were just not right for deer to be feeding in open field! mother nature had won this one only seeing 2 fawns come out on the trail that evening! that wraps the first weekend up! i hunted every evening during the week with know luck so Friday night i thought i would get out early and try to scout! i had found where all my deer were on my farm! there was a group of 40 deer that were hitting a turnip plot i had planted in the late summer! so on Saturday night that's where i sat! it wasn't in tell 5 pm before i seen the first deer, and they were coming fast! there was 3 does and 4 bucks out in the field when a mature buck stepped out with low light because of the cloud cover and time i put my scope up and knew he was a shooter! ranged him at 170 yards raised my gun and squeezed it off! He did the rodeo kick hit his chest on the ground and took off like a rocket, he was hit hard! i followed blood in-tell the neighbors fence and decided to come back tomorrow with the landowners approval that i could track him! we got back down at the farm at around 1 to ask the landowner where he had went into after the shot! while asking him to let me track my deer he had told me this morning that him and his wife had seen a big buck walk a crossed his driveway hobbling on three legs from where the woodlot he had went into the night before! my heart sank i knew it was my buck! After tracking him for a couple hours it seemed to me he was still alive! Its hard knowing that he has a broken shoulder going into the winter and knowing coyotes will probably get him! i guess the hunting Gods wernt with me this gun season! i guess im still asking myself after drilling him in the shoulder with a 50 cal. muzz how is he not dead! anyone have a situation like this! i need feedback! thanks

That's a tough one man. Did you try picking up the track where it crossed his driveway? If there is blood id suggest following it as far as possible. But, whietails are some tough animals. You never know what one can survive!

That sucks man!! It seems cut and dry though. You didn't hit him square in the shoulder. He would be dead. My bet is you hit him in the leg around the lower body line. I have seen plenty of 3 legged deer running around. Sometimes multiple years. My bet is he will make it as long as the winter doesn't get too crazy.

That sucks man!! It seems cut and dry though. You didn't hit him square in the shoulder. He would be dead. My bet is you hit him in the leg around the lower body line. I have seen plenty of 3 legged deer running around. Sometimes multiple years. My bet is he will make it as long as the winter doesn't get too crazy.

Exactly right:way:

I hit a 160 inch buck this year with a slug at 35 yds. He dropped like a rock, then got up 30 sec later and ran away. Never found him... Looked for hours, literally no blood??
Really, I have no idea what happened, bummed out big time..

Sorry to hear, I know first hand the feeling!!

My 1st season gun buck last year fell to 2 Hornady SSTs out of a .50 TC Encore...the one in his shoulder splintered and i picked most of it out of the shoulder blade. A "perfect shot", but I doubt if that shot alone would have killed him. Some crazy things happen, and sometimes a sure thing becomes next years chase. Here's hoping you run into him next November! :way:

My 1st season gun buck last year fell to 2 Hornady SSTs out of a .50 TC Encore...the one in his shoulder splintered and i picked most of it out of the shoulder blade. A "perfect shot", but I doubt if that shot alone would have killed him. Some crazy things happen, and sometimes a sure thing becomes next years chase. Here's hoping you run into him next November! :way:

I was shooting 20 ga. Hornady... Very possible that I hit the shoulder and it didn't penetrate?? The way the buck dropped? Frustrating!

170 yards, wow, my guess you were way low and crippled him. Too many t.v. shows. I hope you didn't feed the coyotes. A man has to know his and his gun's limitations.

bwese said:
170 yards, wow, my guess you were way low and crippled him. Too many t.v. shows. I hope you didn't feed the coyotes. A man has to know his and his gun's limitations.

170yds isn't that long of a shot with a muzzle loader. I feel 100% confident at that range as long as I have a solid rest

Its a matter of Ballistics. I've been shooting rifles and studying ballistics all my life. There is a thing in the ballistic world called point blank range. Point blank range is a distance that allows a bullet to rise no more than 5 inches above the line of sight, and fall no more than 5 inches below the line of sight. If you look at the ballistics of a 250gr 45 cal bullet going 2000fps, the point blank range will be around 160 yds. So while its certainly a makeable shot, its pushing it for that bullet, on a target the size of a whitetail. The other issue is retainable energy at that distance is dwindleing very fast. To put it in a little bit more perspective a 220gr 30-06 bullet going 3400fps has a pbr of 420yds. So it would be equivalent to taking that shot with a 30-06. So when you shoot that far with a 50cal muzzleloader, you need to be having one of your finer moments.

I've heard of deer getting up after a shot when the bullet strikes near the spine and simply shocks the deers nervous system so hard they are temporarily paralyzed. When they get their wits about them theyr'e up and gone, especially if you don't get lungs or something. Any time I've ever dropped a deer in their tracks I'm so nervous that I get up to them as quickly as possible in case I need to put a follow up into them.

I've heard of deer getting up after a shot when the bullet strikes near the spine and simply shocks the deers nervous system so hard they are temporarily paralyzed. When they get their wits about them theyr'e up and gone, especially if you don't get lungs or something. Any time I've ever dropped a deer in their tracks I'm so nervous that I get up to them as quickly as possible in case I need to put a follow up into them.

Yes, I think that is possible on my deer, I should have ran up to the deer and put another one in him. Lesson learned...just didn't think he would move he went down so hard.

Hopefully he is still alive

to many tv shows ? my bro is an editior for whitetail properties! one of the best in the business they kill deer just like u! just alittle more passion-able about what there doing then some people!

and a 170 yards is a confient shot for me ! put the first dot on the BDC where u want it and let her fly!

Sounds good in theory. Didn't work out so good in practice. Sounds like your shot went a little low and broke the elbow/leg a little bit low. Close, but no cigar. Better luck next time.

Any decent muzzleloader bullet in the shoulder equals dead deer. I'm guessing lower than shoulder, leg, like someone else said.

In the past, I had a couple terrible experiences with Power Belt bullets. Have since switched to Hornady. What type bullet were you shooting?

No one likes to lose a deer. I won't speculate on the shot, but I would maybe give one more hard grid search for him to be sure.

Top Bottom