Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Just set up 3 Cam's

doublebrow

"You Cant Fix Stupid"
How long do you guys let camera's sit before you check them??? I'm at about a week and i'm gonna go check make sure everything is good then i think leave em for 2-3 weeks.

By putting up a trail camera the object is to leave out for a set amount of days by checking every week to make sure everything is fine you are spreading your scent and mature deer are not going to going to want to be around that area and they may move areas totally. I usually leave my trail cameras out for 20-25 days before I swap SD cards. If your going to be putting up trail cameras learn how to set them up correctly and by placing them at the correct angle. Hope It helps.

I usually wait 2 weeks on first set to make sure ants haven't destroyed them- batteries are ok- and I have never had an issue with losing deer on next check due to checking it too soon. After first check I like to wait at least 3 weeks -

I check my cams once every 1.5-2wks. Some guys are concerned about scent and spooking deer however in my opinion I'd say the areas i set cams up this time of yr scent isn't an issue. Have pics of a old buck with couple yrs of history with and he's eating my corn within hrs of me setting up the camera I do however stay out of bedding area's and keep my cams in places that are easily excessable, example would be being able to drive to your camera. This time of the year deer are not worrying about too much. I think its all in the situation you are in. 90% of the big bucks I'm getting on camera will be dispersing in the next couple weeks. I'd say scent and hunting strategies play a larger role as season gets closer. But for now at least for me, running cameras is stress free and fun. I for one don't like waiting. Plus I have been burnt a couple times leaving em out for long periods of time only to have them malfunction and take no pictures.

Try to make them easy to get to for both you and the deer. This time of year all of our cameras are over mineral or feed, that way we can "bring the deer to the camera" vs entruding into areas where scent may cause issues.
A lot of deer will disperse once the batcholor groups break up and in our area we usually gain just as many good deer as we lose. Its all a guessing game.
I wouldn't put any cameras near your stands this time of year and walk in every week but have fun with it, it can get addicting.
Once oct rolls around we move cams to different food sources followed by funnels and active scrapes as the month wears on into november, but that's a whole different story.

We put all our cameras on the perimeter of the woods, mainly on the edges of ag fields and over mineral sites. That way we never have to step foot in the woods to check the cameras. Also, the deer are used to hearing farm equipment in the fields so it makes it easy to drive up and check with an ATV. Just a thought.

Top Bottom