Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Just sharing

MadisonB&C

Anyone else have success stories. Oh, and don't hold back. I need something to read.

I sat down on the top of the creek bottom in our backyard and started rattling one evening. I like to go out there and do that every once in a while, just because it feels a lot better than rattling indoors. Anyway, this was my first attempt, and after clashing the antlers together I started raking the brush. It must have been pretty convincing. I was just gonna get up and go back inside, but I started hearing something walking towards me: from two directions! I could hardly believe my eyes when a 140 class 10 pointer walked into view just 20 yards away. Anyway he busted me right away, and I was shaking when I went inside. Worst case of buck fever I ever had. A few days later I went out and found his core area. 11 or 12 big fresh scrapes right there in a 20 yard radius. There's also a big buck hanging around somewhere near my school. All this in the middle of Des Moines and West Des Moines. What a rush!

No. We live just south of Hickman, behind that Sherewood Forest shopping place. I've heard of a couple big ones just off of 63rd, and my science teacher saw a monster on his way home just a few months ago.
Any chance I could find out what they use for feed?

Hey Madison, Would this be anywhere near Grand Ave. in Des Moines? My brother lives in the 5300 block & his neighbor feeds the deer and they come into their yards all the time. My sister in law was working outside after dark this fall and had a buck within 10 feet watching her. She got kind of spooked as it was in the rut & you never know what a buck will do then. They see a pretty nice buck regularly along with a lot of does and smaller bucks. He said ever since they had the hunting in Water Works Park they've been seeing alot more deer. They get hit on Grand all the time. Maggs.

He feeds them bread and corn. His son or son-in-law is tied in to a bakery I think and he gets the old stuff. Pretty wild but if you think about it, it's made with grain. My brother said he was going downtown one evening and saw one of the biggest bucks he has ever seen right in the median. Almost piled up the car doing a double take. Pretty cool for the Capitol of our State! Maggs.

It's amazing, isn't it? You've got all of these big bucks, plus those two in the Zach print and who knows how many more are out there in the middle of the city. Anybody else heard of that huge buck from Cedar Rapids hit by a car? North American Whitetail ran an article on it a few years back. Had a 202 gross and a mid 190's gross typical score. Just goes to show you Iowa's monsters aren't all out in the bean fields and willow thickets.

Top Bottom