Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Kansas Opener

grandslam02

PMA Member
today was the first day of the Kansas archery season. this is the first year for an Archery only season before the shotgun opener. i roosted some birds last night and set up on them this morning but they sure weren't very vocal on the roost. I heard only 2 gobbles until 8:00 a.m. then things finally heated up. there were 3 other Gobblers with this bird. I shot him under 10 yards.
2611Kansas_Archery_Opener_2007.JPG

Awesome bird! You had a much better morning than me. The birds were very quiet on the roost Sat night and I only heard a couple very distant gobbles Sun. morning.

I read recently that the 2 year old birds do most of the gobbling and that we had a bad hatch 2 years ago. So the belief is that less gobbling will be the norm this year. What is your take on that theory?

If i hadn't seen these the night before i would have thought they were at a different roost site. Even knowing they were there i thought i was out of the game this morning because they wouldn't respond to anything. Then around 8:00 a.m. they got fired up from about 300 yards and you could just tell they were going to show up. I'm not sure on that theory Kansasdeerslayer. I have heard people say that 2 year olds do most of the gobbling and that makes sense to me but as far as saying that less gobbling will be the norm for the year I'm not sure. I sometimes think weather along with some other factors plays a big part in how much they will gobble on a particular day. This bird was a 2 year old with only 1/2" spurs but he had a dandy beard over 11".

Having never turkey hunted this early in the year, I wasn't sure what to expect. I know the weather has beat the tar out of them for several days and figured that contributed some to the lack of gobbling. From what I saw Sat. every strutter had more hens with him than he could probably handle. Also witnessed a pair breeding, so I assumed that they weren't gobbling much because the hens are being very receptive and he doesn't have to gobble much to draw a crowd.

The birds I hunt(Linn Co.) are usually going crazy on the roost and most of the day by the shotgun opener. I had high hopes for great activity for today but it didn't happen. Oh well, I got tomorrow off work and will be back at it in the morning.
grin.gif

Atta partner! Shoot something even bigger, I have to waste postage on sending the 1st prize stuff to myself!

Top Bottom