Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Kansas vs Iowa

ecuwil

I was relocated to Iowa for work four years ago. Two years ago I got permission to hunt 200 acres by my house and I feel like I am finally getting settled into the property, this will be the third season hunting it. I found out a couple of weeks ago that I may be facing a potential relocation to Lawrence, Kansas. I am bummed that I may have to walk away from my Iowa hunting ground, but wanted to get some feedback on the potential that Kansas has to offer. I have never hunted there, but I imagine I will have to hunt public ground until I can find a place to hunt. I have seen pictures of successful whitetail hunts, but how does it compare to Iowa? What parts of the state are better than others? If I am relocated it looks like we will be on the NE portion of KS.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Haven't spent much time in Kansas since my soon-to-be wife lived in Topeka back in 84-85. However, it seems like the NE part of the state would be solid for whitetails based on what I remember.

good thing about KS is there is much more than public ground, especially for bowhunters. The Kansas Dept. of Game and Fish has been working with landowners in participating in the WIH (walk in hunting) program for a number of years now. They end up leasing hundreds of thousands of farms and allow hunting on each. From what I could tell, especially the bowhunting only farms, there is relatively limited pressure on these farms. We have turkey hunted out there the last 4 years and have hunted alot of this ground with great success.

Also, many of the locals we met were open to allowing hunting, we picked up roughly 10,000 acres of private ground to hunt in the last couple of years. From the quantit and quality of deer I don't think you will see a huge difference between the two states as they both have terrific deer hunting and habitat.

Kratz

good thing about KS is there is much more than public ground, especially for bowhunters. The Kansas Dept. of Game and Fish has been working with landowners in participating in the WIH (walk in hunting) program for a number of years now. They end up leasing hundreds of thousands of farms and allow hunting on each. From what I could tell, especially the bowhunting only farms, there is relatively limited pressure on these farms. We have turkey hunted out there the last 4 years and have hunted alot of this ground with great success.

Also, many of the locals we met were open to allowing hunting, we picked up roughly 10,000 acres of private ground to hunt in the last couple of years. From the quantit and quality of deer I don't think you will see a huge difference between the two states as they both have terrific deer hunting and habitat.

Kratz
Kratz beat me to it. the only thing i would add is that the are Kratz is talking about is central KS...i don't know how different it would be in the area you're moving to.

Top Bottom