Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

KCRG TV 9

Ghost

Life Member
Am watching the live stream on KCRG and keeping up with the Cedar Rapids flood.

They just reported a section of the Sutliff bridge collapsed.

There is some craze video being shown of the flood.

I talked to Crittr on the site and he is stuck at work in Cedar Rapids and can't even get home.

Crazy amount of water...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Crazy amount of water... </div></div>

That ole clay knob I live on seems doggone nice right about now... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Thats what we were discussing today here at work. People may make fun of us farming the hills of Adair, Adams, and Union counties, but we sure enjoy these hills right now.

After what we experienced here in SE Kansas last year, I really feel for you guys. A lot of work ahead for many of you. Praying for your safety.

Things here in Iowa City are totally friggin screwed... There is no way to even describe how fast the water is rising. I'd still be sandbagging if I didn't have to try and get to the airport later today to pick up my wife...

The worst is yet to come.

Ive been moving pallets of sandbags from 5 a.m. til 4:30 p.m. they just said the river will be up to 25.0 by wednesday. Same as it was in 93. Thousands of homes in several different towns are being evacuated right now. If the river hits 26.0 then water will spill over the levee in Gulfport,Illinois, thats if the levee doesnt break before then, and we wont have to worry about it getting any higher where we are at because the water will all go into that low lying area. Hopefully that doesnt happen. It will be ugly. I remember someone on here talking about there hunting land over by Gulfport i think it was KRATZ. It will most likely be under water and any deer in the area will be pushed to higher grounds. Which is miles away.

Unless you've actually had to drive on I-380 around Cedar Rapids you have no idea how bad it really is. I'm not much of a drama king, but I'm telling you, this is bad.....really bad. The effects of this flood will be felt for months and months around the Cedar Rapids area. It's going to affect everyone, even those of us whose houses aren't flooded. I'm willing to bet the power plant I work at will be offline for close to a month. I can't even begin to imagine how much clean up, and construction efforts are going to have to go into repairing everything that's been damaged. Iowa City is next on the list from what I can tell...........good luck to everyone involved.

The UI closed today and I'm not to report back until June 23, if then. Looks like I have lots of time to help in the sand bagging effort, building on the 4 hours I spent last Sunday afternoon.

What is usually a 15 minute commute took me 1.5 hours this morning, so I'm really happy to be rid of that. I'm sure driving to the volunteer site will be much quicker. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I took a drive to Cedar county this afternoon. I met a few groups who were trying to get east of the Cedar River. One group of motorcycles came out of Des Moines, headed to "Sturgis on the River" (Burlington?). They had tried 34, 22, I80 and were looking at trying to get across at Cedar Bluff: no go. I got home and heard the IDOT's 281 mile detour. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I do the weatherspotting for KCRG up here in Charles City and I just want to say that I'm really impressed with their devotion to their local viewing area. The water here in CC came up again to about the level it was at in 93. Trivial in comparison to what it did last Monday. We were talking at work today about the economic impact this is going to have on our entire state and I think we'll be wishing all we had to bitch about was $4 gas. I hope everyone south of us realizes this ain't over yet. In CC they were really busy cleaning out the effected homes and businesses by Wed and it has been the most sickening thing to see. For any of our members from outside the state, I highly recommend going to KCRG.com to check out pictures of what Eastern Iowans are dealing with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> One group of motorcycles came out of Des Moines, headed to "Sturgis on the River</div></div>

boscobel WI

Davenport thru Saturday is where Sturgis on the river is. Its flooded out of its normal spot and moved to the Mississippi Valley Fair grounds.

As long as I 80 in Iowa City stays open I can get home. If it closes, I'm stuck at work. They say I-80 in Iowa City should stay open. I flew over it this AM and the east end of teh bridge is prety close to the water.

Hwy 1 is closed by my house. I've never known it to be so quite and peacefull.

There are some gravel roads you can take to get form CR to IC. If you can get to Ely, take the first gravel south of Ely to the east, that is 7 Sisters Road, from there just keep turning south snd east and you'll end up on 140th street I think. Anyway, I've done it in the past and the University came out with a map showing the route so essential personell can get to work.

Roumors ar flying around about which road is gonna close when. You really can't keep up with it.

Good luck to everybody.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom