Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Keeping Dogs Out- FENCE???

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, won't shoot em- just not an option PLUS there's about 6 dogs. I've asked the neighbor about LITERALLY 10 times to PLEASE tie the dogs up during hunting season ONLY- says he will BUT never does.

Now, they only can access my ground from one larger area, I could fence that part of the road off- it would be about 1/2 mile of fencing. I have come to realize I am going to have to pay a few thousand dollars to keep HIS dogs out of my place. I'd say most guys would have shot the dogs SO I feel at least like I'm taking the high road here.

QUESTION- If I construct this fence in the only area they can enter- will it keep them out?? It will be a regular woven-wire cattle fence that's 4 OR 5 feet high with another top line of barbed wire to make it even taller. It will be secured in VERY WELL and VERY TIGHT to the ground and secure. I will have cattle panel gates they WILL NOT get through BUT I'll leave those open in early summer for the fawns to cross through.

Will this work, will it keep them out? (they are big hound dogs that run deer). Is the fence high enough? Any other suggestions? Thanks!!!

*Not sure EXACTLY what it will cost, 1/2 mile of this. Any GUESSES. I know it won't be cheap. I can do most work myself. Any suggestions on saving $ on supplies?

Last edited:
In all seriousness your situation is not very desirable and I don't know how I'd handle it for sure. Cleary, you neighbor has no respect for you and is a poor example of a human. Best of luck! I wouldn't think you'd need to make it to high, but very tight to the ground. This would allow deer to jump over and not dogs......well, in theory.:D Let us know how this turns out for you.

In all seriousness...There is no way I would let an inconsiderate neighbor cost me thousands of dollars just because he won't keep his dogs tied up/off my land.
I would have shot them already.

In all seriousness...There is no way I would let an inconsiderate neighbor cost me thousands of dollars just because he won't keep his dogs tied up/off my land.
I would have shot them already.

Agreed, but if you want to save some money and still solve your problem just catch the dogs and drop them off at the local pound. The owner will have to pay to get them out if he wants them otherwise they can be adopted and taken to a farm far from yours! :way:

Totally agree with Skully. Or you could go to the owner one more time and tell him you're either going to shoot them if you see them running your place or do the catch and release program, at the dog pound!

I think it's been suggested on here before but tell your neighbor that you feel you have a coyote problem and are going to do some coyote trapping/poisoning on your land and if his dogs come through they may be 'collateral damage'. That should be enough of a deterrent for him to keep his dogs away from your property. If you still see the dogs on your property after that you know that he truly doesn't care whether his animals live or die and action can be taken accordingly. I don't envy you, it's a tough situation....

Thanks for input!!! Anyone out there think fence would NOT work. The WORST thing that could ever happen is to drop this money on this fence and have it NOT work and be in same position. I think well constructed fence tight to ground would work BUT I'm not a dog expert. Thanks much!

Now, they only can access my ground from one larger area, I could fence that part of the road off- it would be about 1/2 mile of fencing.

Skip I am having a hard time trying to figure out how the fence is going to work. Will there be no way around the fence? Are you fencing your entire property?

Most of my land already has a fence for cattle that used to be in there. I will improve all that fence- which is already pretty good. It leaves only 1/2 mile totally OPEN along the road. If I seal that up- my land will be completely surrounded by fence. The opening happens to be right across from dog's house SO they just cross the road and come on in for the party. They are on my land more than their owners. Seal up the opening and whole place locked up.

There's a total of 3 miles of fencing right now- fenced on all sides- just need a 1/2 mile - ONLY reason I'd do that expensive 1/2 mile is for dogs. this is actually one of those examples I wish I could get him to pay for 1/2 of fence (even though he owns no land)! :) Not happening though of course.

Last edited:
I wrote on here in the past with the same problem. I had 10 dogs! I feel your pain. I asked the neighbor,,in a nice way,,twice. The second time he came down on me with anger like I had the "Nerve", to ask him to keep his dogs home. This is a free country, and he should be free to let his animals roam where they want. I couldn't believe that attitude. And he is supposedly a deer hunter too. I was told by the DNR to shoot them. My county officials could care less. So,, I took things into my own hands. I did not shoot them. They are really his wife's dogs and I know she was afraid I was going to shoot them. When I caught them over on my land I chased them with a shotgun and shot over them. Guess I scared them good, cause I have not seen them since. You might try the scare tactic. I have heard less dogs barking over there in recent months,,so I think they possibly had better thoughts about all the dogs and got rid of some. It sure is hard to understand people. In the state I moved from, there was a state leash law, and the DNR enforced it. One warning,,then fines. That is what Iowa needs.

My main goal is wasting $- I just want to contribute to the economy with wasteful spending JUST like the Liberals do- what's wrong with that?

Ok, no I don't want to waste a dime NOR do I want to pay for this fence BUT it it will work I will. Are you say that you think it's a waste because the dogs will jump it, dig under it or what reason? Thanks much!

My thoughts as well.

Let me bring my black & tan hound out for a little test run. :grin: I guarantee no fence is going to keep a hunting dog out unless it is buried three foot deep and electrified. Every coon dog I ever had would scale woven wire with barbed tops like they were nothing. If not they would dig under in a matter of seconds. I for one would not waste the money on fence expecting it to solve your dog problems. Fences can be nice for other things though.

Yep what they said. Won't work. They'll either climb it or jump it. And work with the owner some more. It might be better than no deer on your property. I know bang bang is a quick fix but might get you lots of trouble in the long run.

the fence isnt the answer. what you need is made by cci. essentially its birdshot for a 22long rifle. it wont kill them but will leave a lasting impression!

Top Bottom