Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Keeping Stuff in the Tree Stand

Just curious?
Why do yall keep your range finders out at all times. I range things once I get there, and I usually only need it the first time I go to a stand or if I haven't been in it for a while. I have set markers(a certain corn stalk, cedar tree, fence post, etc) that I range and I always know those distances. And I tell myself, that fence post is my 2nd pin or that cedar bush is my 3rd pin, etc.
I don't know?? To me, the less things I have out, the less chance of me screwing something up when I move around.
So I usually have everything but my grunt tube and can call in my fanny pack. The grunt tube is always tucked inside my bino strap that is on my chest, so that it doesn't hit my string when I shoot. My bow is always hanging with my trigger release attached to it. My rattling antlers are usually hanging on a branch out of the way.

I range things as well and memorize the distances, but I have several timber stands that have almost 360 degrees of shooting options, thus ALOT of things to remember. Inside of 25 yds it's not a big deal if I'm off +/- 5 yds, but once that range gets out a bit I want to be pretty spot on so I keep it handy. In the past I've had 2 botched shots on some nice deer that I should have had dead to rights that I missed or wounded because I didn't know the correct yardage. In those situations the bucks were chasing hot does and weren't on any trail at all. Made me sick to my stomach so I keep it handy now.

I usually just strap my pack to the tree like the tree is wearing my pack in a location that I can easily grab things. I always have my bow on a hanger and a grunt tube in my pocket. The range finder I may use right at first lot just to verify a few trails but then put it back in the pack.

Bow on hanger, pack on the tree or if i have an extra hook i will hang it on that. Grunt tube in my pocket as i watched a buddy miss a 160 because his grunt tube got caught in his bow string, I dont know if he was crying due to the miss or the whiplash and cut from the grunt tube being ripped off his neck. Nothing around my neck. I also keep my binos very handy on my chest strapped tight with bino buddies. Binos are probably one of the most important things i take to the tree, nothing like being able to really get a good look at a buck when you first see him.
Tuesday i had my socks hanging on one limb, boots in a crook upside down, jacket hanging from another limb all due to a creek crossing gone bad.

Just curious?
Why do yall keep your range finders out at all times. I range things once I get there, and I usually only need it the first time I go to a stand or if I haven't been in it for a while. I have set markers(a certain corn stalk, cedar tree, fence post, etc) that I range and I always know those distances. And I tell myself, that fence post is my 2nd pin or that cedar bush is my 3rd pin, etc.
I don't know?? To me, the less things I have out, the less chance of me screwing something up when I move around.
So I usually have everything but my grunt tube and can call in my fanny pack. The grunt tube is always tucked inside my bino strap that is on my chest, so that it doesn't hit my string when I shoot. My bow is always hanging with my trigger release attached to it. My rattling antlers are usually hanging on a branch out of the way.
I have mine out ready in case I need to re-verify a distance, or range deer in a spot I didn't already range, such as in the middle of a hay field without any good markers.

I usually just strap my pack to the tree like the tree is wearing my pack in a location that I can easily grab things. I always have my bow on a hanger and a grunt tube in my pocket. The range finder I may use right at first lot just to verify a few trails but then put it back in the pack.
My pack doesn't have straps long enough to strap around the trees I hunt from. Oh, maybe you mean around a limb? :)

Tuesday i had my socks hanging on one limb, boots in a crook upside down, jacket hanging from another limb all due to a creek crossing gone bad.

lol Sounds like that sucked. I'm just trying to imagine the look on another hunters face if he were to spot you in the stand sitting there barefoot with your laundry hanging up...

Top Bottom