Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Kicked in the groin!

vrod

I have lost hunting farms before, but this one really hurts!
This property is connected to my property and has been full access to me for years. This spring I rented their 5 acre hay field with dreams of perfect food plot. After killing off all plants this spring, which was not cheap. I worked the crap out of the hard packed soil and fertilized it. Was doing paul's food plot:way:. I planted white clover on 2 acres, which was not cheap. Planted rest to oats/berseem clover to build up soil for this falls plantings.(cheaper seed atleast) Have went back and moed and disced half of plot to prepare for brassicas. Bought the seed and fertilizer last week with intentions of planting this weekend. Was worried about lack of rain but felt I had too much time/money invested to give up now. Well I have been informed that my food plot as well as the rest of the land is being sold asap. (Offer on the table) So needless to say I will not be planting rain or no rain. The owner has offered me back my rent which is a drop in the bucket compared to my time/money invested in this plot. I just want to fall on the ground and kick and scream like a little kid! This is being bought as hunting ground and so I will not be able to hunt it any longer.

Just needed to vent.:drink1:

Tough Break

I feel for you. Bad enough to lose the chance to hunt it when it's that close, worse to have new competition from new owners!

Sorry Bro. Been there and done that. I finally just bought my own piece of ground. Gets tiring year after year working on getting permission and hanging stands and then losing consent. We have all been there.

How about a kiss for a screwing like that? Sucks to have done all that work and have it taken out from under you

How about a kiss for a screwing like that? Sucks to have done all that work and have it taken out from under you

Ha Ha...funny to hear it put that way. Very similar thing happened to me a few years back. At the time it seemed like the end of hunting as I knew it, but now I count it as a blessing to have clarified priorities in my life. Pick up the pieces and move on :way:

NWBuck

That's the worst, man. Those bastards are gonna be reaping the benefits of your work. I feel for you.

My best two farms were sold this year. Right by one another. I've had good luck on them and has given me a nice 10pter last year. New owners are hardcore hunters. I made a point to ask every landowner within 2 miles for permission... 23 landowners in total. I've manages to talk to 17 of them... all no's and 4 others were obvious hunters so I didn't even bother asking them.

Every off season, I make a point to knock on 30 doors. I've knocked on over 50 so far, without one solid yes.

We're getting to the point right now where it's near impossible to be able to hunt somebody else's land. It's just getting ridiculously competitive.

I have the option to buy. But at $500000 it just can't happen. 150 acres with 2000 sq ft ranch.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
So sorry for you>
Learned along time ago, Do everything you can to Own the ground you hunt,
We do lease an adjoining 150 acres , and got permission this year to put a few plots in for the upcoming season, We have done the prep work for fall planting - knowing we coud loose this lease at anytime, in the future so we thought ahead on where the new plot's would be -( wink ) so it would still benifit our home farm, and By no means will we be planting any long term perineal food sources in this area , just incase , knowing a lease can be ripped away from you at any time

Do you happen to have a written lease on that 5 acre hayfield/food plot? If so, there is a good chance in your written lease you as the tenant have possession rights until March 1, 2013; regardless if the farm is sold now or not. Pretty standard lease agreement in Iowa at least.

Do you happen to have a written lease on that 5 acre hayfield/food plot? If so, there is a good chance in your written lease you as the tenant have possession rights until March 1, 2013; regardless if the farm is sold now or not. Pretty standard lease agreement in Iowa at least.

I agree. Pretty standard anywhere.

tenants rights

Not sure if everyone knows this, but I ran into this last year when I bought my farm. The tenants rights in Iowa (which is kind of unique to Iowa) as it does not always apply to other states...requires 40 acres or more.

In other words, to terminate a renter, is not necessary by law, if the amount of tillable or hay ground is under 40 acres. I even checked with the higher ups to verify this.

Top Bottom