Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Kids age when they started shooting bow?

DOR

Life Member
I am getting anxious to get my little girl started, but she will be only 3 in April. When did you guys get you little ones started?
308dad_and_kate_2006_shed_hunt_3-06-med.JPG

I started when I was 3, just buy a cheapy stick bow and let her go at her own pace.

Yes Muddy, I started very young as well and could shoot my little red Bear recurve as well as Howard Hill. Now if I could just get the time to start shooting my Black Widow that well again.
smirk.gif

Around 7 seems like the age mine could pay attention to what the technique was. It makes a difference if they can nock their own arrows then your not in their face all of the time.

Started my grandson at 6 & he loved it. I would say as soon as they show an interest let them get the fever.

I was 3 when I started. My oldest son is now 2 1/2 and goes out and shoots foams arrows at my target in the yard. He is already asking when he can get a bow that shoots "real" arrows. If he keeps an interest I think I may try it in the summer of 08 when he turns 4.

[ QUOTE ]
I started when I was 3, just buy a cheapy stick bow and let her go at her own pace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you boys are more brave than me. My daughter is 2.25 yrs old and I'm afraid to get within 5 feet of her when she is holding a fork, much less a real weapon.
Yall have 'em on the Ritilan patch or what?

Tomo - love that video!

My boys were around 7 when they started messing with bows. Oldest took his first deer last year at 12.

supertec started his daughter at 3, with a mini genesis. i plan to start my nephew this spring, at 4

My son started flinging at 2. (please note: arrow is loaded backwards...gets that from his mother)
426hunter-med.jpg

He still is shooting a recurve (Bear) but for his 6th Bday I think a wheeled bow is in order.

My daughter got her first "real" recurve (Damon Howatt)at 5. Her first wheeled bow at 7.
426syd1.jpg

Here they are at a 3d shoot.

426pcsa.jpg

Keep it short and fun and if shooting summer 3d's lots of buge dope.

He's 5, my youngest is 4... but I don't have enough guts to let them fling real arrows yet.

I am using this as a safety lesson though. they know that the only thing they can shoot it at is the target I set up for them. And everyone has to be behind them before they draw it back.

drewbow.jpg

Depends on the interest shown IMO. My daughter would pick up sticks and pretend she was shooting at the target. I picked up a cheap little stick bow, arrows cost me more than the bow. I have to help and it only lasts for about a doz arrows, but that was mainly the 12lb pull I believe. She was almost 4.

My oldest son in 3 and for his birthday I got him one of those bows that shoots foam balls like in adamo's pic. He loves it because he can do it by himself and is getting pretty good at it. He will just go and pick it up and start shooting without any prompting from me. I've also got a Genesis bow that I help him shoot at a deer target in the basement. Looking forward to getting him outside this summer and having him start shooting a stick bow.

My oldest started around 4 with a Genesis bow. She attended her first shoot when she was 5, and still asks about it all the time.

Img1004.jpg

Img0989.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
My son started flinging at 2. (please note: arrow is loaded backwards...gets that from his mother)

[/ QUOTE ] LOL...you kill me Rudd.

supertec...I remember those pictures, great shots of your little girl. Lotsa fun.

Top Bottom