Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Killed a real good one

MadisonB&C

I killed Johny Tight Lips this morning. He took his time, but he came in right off the roost. 1 1/2 inch spurs, 11+ inch beard, and 26 lbs. Story and pics later.
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yea this thread is pretty much worthless without pictures of Johnny...
evil.gif

Nice bird.
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

Story isn't too exciting. I've got a little history with this gobbler. He got his name because before Sunday I'd only ever heard him gobble once, and when he did that three or four birds I was working shut right up. Last year I had a pretty close call with him on May 7th at about 6:00 AM. He came in silent, clucked once at my decoy. He didn't like something and just disappeared.

Fast forward. I spent a year trying to scout and pattern this bird. He was one of two toms that I was holding out for. By the time Sunday morning rolled along I had passed up chip shots on two other nice birds on a different farm, and decided I had better go after Johny that day.
I ended up setting my alarm for 4:30. Of course, when it went off I hit the snooze. Yeah, I wish. Guess I turned it off. I woke up at 5:45 and flew out the door. Thank God for the clouds. I'm pretty sure the overcast skies bought me an extra 30 minutes. So I drove down the road to my spot and practically ran the mile and a half back to Johny's hay field. It was going on 6:15 by that time (I was really late). As light as it was I couldn't really set up anywhere near him, so I picked a spot on the opposite side of the field where he'd be able to see my dece. My hope was that with under growth soaked from the last night's storm, he would come out into the short grass for a relatively dry place to do his deeds. I hadn't been sitting for ten minutes when he showed up. The other birds hadn't even started gobbling and he was on the ground (and true to form, Johny was silent off the roost). Three yelps got his attention, but it still took him 40 minutes to turn 300 yards into 25. I decided that was close enough.
grin.gif

I can't tell you guys how thrilled I am with this bird. He's definitely my biggest, and to get the one I was after is incredibly satisfying.
Thanks for your words everyone, and best of luck to each of you.
30571-green1.gif

Top Bottom