Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Killer" kills "killer, good buck down!

buck1979

Lots of guys that have seen the TV show have seen Mike Scaddan, and may recall him arrowing a Giant Manitoba black bear. They really are fanatics when it comes to GIANT black bears up there, and are the best at it that I have met! Through this sometime before I met him, he was dubbed with the nickname, "Killer".

Mike was passing through on his way to a wedding, a long trek, and had 2 days to hunt on his stop over.

Now for a few years we have watched a notorious buck that in 2004 we named "Killer". He is by far the most aggressive buck I have ever been around. When he came on the scene in 2004 he was a well mature 4x4, easily in the 4-5 yrs of age, putting him this year in the 10 1/2 year old range.

Here is a pic of him in 2004

killer20041.JPG

Over the years we have watched him chase, spear, roll, charge and do anything else you can think of to the other bucks in the area upon sight. 2006 was his biggest rack, going down in 2007, 2008 and again this year in 2009. In the last 6 years only three or four times have we actually seen him in a field feeding, or crossing a road, likely how he remarkably has made it to the ripe old age. However we see him several times a year from the stand.

The first time Jason Peterson ever came to film with me, the first buck we seen was Killer, I think Jason was amused by the deers personality to say the least.

Over the last couple years it has become apparent that nearly every 3 year old buck leaves the area, and I had a suspicion as to why, or at least a large contributing factor to why, Killer. So last year we decided to try and take him. We originally thought this would not be too difficult, we knew him well, and seen him often from the stand.

Here he was last year in 2008. This year was the first year he grew the abnormal third forked little horn by his right eye. More on that to come.

killer083.JPG

killer082.JPG

killer08.JPG

It seemed no matter how hard we tried, we could not get on him last year. The only times he showed himself is when someone was hunting that did not want to take him, me LOL. I Made a deal with Jason that we would chase the only deer to stay in the area to maturity, Killers rival for top spot, "Spike", but if along the way, if presented with the opportunity, we would take Killer. Well long story short, Jason capitalized on a great buck, 167 " typical "Spike".

Killer made it by the 2008 season again. He shed his antlers early, and I expected there to be problems. From looking at footage you could tell the third horn was not a "sticker", but came out of his skull on its own. In January I seen him one evening, less his antlers, but the third spike remained. I found that odd. Then this year in July, it was apparent that he had shed the third horn somehow and re-grew a straighter larger single tine from near his right eye as you can see here. (more later)

killer091.JPG

In July it looked as though he was going to go down hill significanlty, however he made a late final dash in August and finished off better than expected.

killer093.JPG

Look at the depth he has in the chest!!!

killer092.JPG

So this year, 2009, we really wanted to get on him. First to try was Chad (Bearhunter), but when he came out, the winds did not comply, Second was Kurt Mooney, but with no Luck. So when we heard Mike (killer) was stopping by we told him to bring his bow as it was only fitting to go after the deer (killer). Well just like a well written script the winds were right, and the first night we were able to get in where we wanted, Killer(the deer) made an appearance early at about 5:30 pm, and Killer (Mike) perfectly placed a Muzzy in Killer's (the deer) boiler room, and after a 40 yard dash, the story finally had a ending.

He might not be the next WR, but a dandy, a legend in our woods, and to harvest a 10+ year old buck with your bow is quite an accomplishment, Congrats to you Killer (Mike)!!!

Here he is with his buck... And the weird third horn, as I had suspected, but didn't believe until I seen it, upon inspection, it grew from its own separate normal looking pedicle with a burr and everything. Weird I think, but more weird to me is that just the last 2 years did he grow it???
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
IMG_0546_copy.JPG

IMG_0547_copy.JPG

He wasn't an overly long bodied deer, but thick, deep and heavy. Just a gorgeous animal with a beautiful cape!

IMG_0551_copy.JPG

Great buck and great ending to a long history! It's hard to imagine how a deer can live that long in the rough conditions/long winters such as you guys have up there.. Impressive

That's impressive. I'm pretty sure I've never, ever seen a 10 year old buck, let alone heard of someone killing one with a bow. Congrats to all who were involved!

Top Bottom