Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Killing MFR

Ghost

Life Member
I'm sure this has been asked before, but what is the best herbicide to kill MFR?

I think MFR is great cover for deer and turkeys, but it's starting to take over my "sneaky trails".

Also, is it best to wait until green up to spray it?

Thanks in advance!
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what is the best herbicide to kill MFR?

I think MFR is great cover for deer and turkeys, but it's starting to take over my "sneaky trails".

Thanks in advance!
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's some links to herbicides and methods for killing/controlling MFR:

MFR Managment

MFR Control

Multiflora Rose

Killing MFR

I've never tried to kill it but sometimes I think it has tried to do me in!
blush.gif
grin.gif

I have killed lots and lots of MFR with Crossbow. Best when activley growing before blossom. Best thing I have used though is Tordon 22K. It is restricted use/sale. Kills it quicker than Crossbow but the problem with 22K is the translocation from the roots of the roses to the roots of the tree that it is growing next to. I killed an elm this way just to see if it was possible, and it is. Crossbow doesn't translocate as bad and you don't have the carry over problem, but if you want it dead for good, Tordon 22K. Oh yeah, don't spray 22K where it may run off into your pond.

I'm gonna look real hard at the MFR in my area to see if I have that rose killer bug in the area. Thought I had it last year but wasn't sure. Let nature kill it.

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
Best thing I have used though is Tordon 22K. It is restricted use/sale.

[/ QUOTE ]

How could I get my little paws on some of this?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Best thing I have used though is Tordon 22K. It is restricted use/sale.

[/ QUOTE ]

How could I get my little paws on some of this?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You need a Private Pesticide Applicators License. Not too hard to get. You have to take a test and attend an update session every year or re-take the test every three years.

The 'Bonker

So a gallon of crossbow may just be nice to have in my "arsenal" when woody plants aren't killed by Round-up?

[ QUOTE ]
So a gallon of crossbow may just be nice to have in my "arsenal" when woody plants aren't killed by Round-up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a farmer friend uses it to kill MFR that threaten to short out his electric fence.

Yesterday I helped him fix fence and everyone he sprayed last year was stone cold dead
waytogo.gif

Kent,
Enjoy your MFR while you can.
grin.gif

Rose rosette disease is really starting to hit my timber pretty hard. You could always graft into your problem spots and let nature take its course. I can't say I will really miss the stuff.

I have checked the DNR site and several nurseries and I still can't find MFR seedlings anywhere.
confused.gif
grin.gif
If the thorns are the seeds I guess I could just bury my Carharts and water them down.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks in advance!
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
There is a new product out that is made just for MFR. It is a Dow product call Surmount. It is new this year and we are going to try it out on a pasture that is COVERED with it. Should be interesting, and it is supposed to do good for broadleafs also.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks in advance!
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
There is a new product out that is made just for MFR. It is a Dow product call Surmount. It is new this year and we are going to try it out on a pasture that is COVERED with it. Should be interesting, and it is supposed to do good for broadleafs also.

[/ QUOTE ]

EDIT:

Picloran is the active ingredeint in Tordon 22K. Crossbow has 2,4-D and Triclopyr Surmount has the same active ingerdient as 22K, not Crossbow. I should know better to try and use my memory.

ORIGINAL:

Crossbow is Picloran and 2,4-D Surmount is Picloran and Fluroxypyr. I know Crossbow kills every broadleaf well except for thistles. Maybe this new concoction will do better on thistles.

Let us know how it works.

The 'Bonker

I will, we just got it in today, probably going to spray it here in a month or so. The Dow rep showed us alot of photo's and info on it at a meeting a few weeks ago. Of course the rep is going to show how well the product works, but our rep is at least pretty honest. Surmount is probably not the best if you have a really problem field for thistle. But it did kill quite a few. Milestone really works for thistle. This past year, we sprayed around 2000 acres with milestone and it did an excellent job on them. Milestone is also a non-restricted herbicide, so anyone can buy it. Sorry if this has been posted before. Back to the surmount, the pics we saw for the MFR, it smoked them, and did an excellent job for broadleafs also. It will be interesting to see how it turns out for us.

Another vote for Crossbow use on MFR. I used it primarily on Osage but it never failed to kill MFR in under a week.
As far as translocating through roots, I doubt its a problem with Crossbow. I had a bunch of Osage growing up in my rows of planted trees, many of them within inches of my oak, pine, and ash seedlings. I shielded the desirable seedlings when spraying and it toasted the Osage with no effect on my seedlings. The roots had to be intertwined, so I was impressed with that.

A prescribed burn after it has completely leafed out will also kill or at least severely set it back without using herbicide.

IMO multiflora rose is one of those non-native, invasives that is very beneficial to wildlife, and also very easy to control. I would hate to lose it as a managment tool.

[ QUOTE ]
Kent, I have used Crossbow with success. If I remember right it is most effective when leafed out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto

Top Bottom