Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Kinetic Energy

Danno

PMA Member
OK Bowgeeks,
Please help me figure the KE of this setup. I find the calculators, but I don't know how to determine the arrow velocity. Here's the setup. 29 inch Carbon Express CX400 tipped with 100 g Montec G5. 400 grains total arrow weight. Shooting out of a 2005 Hoyt Ultramag 28 inch draw set at 65 pounds. Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
Bowgeeks

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhat qualified. Junkie would be a better word. Need the arrow speed and total arrow weight so we have half of the needed info. The best way to determine the arrow velocity is to shoot it through a chronograph. Someone with a similar setup might be able to give you a good estimate. I have no idea how fast or slow mine is and I even have a chrono. I guess I know it is fast enough and I am sure yours is too.

Zips through deer. I'm trying to decide about switching to a heavier broadhead for elk.

While it will improve the bow efficiency by a slight bit, you really gain very little KE by putting on a heavier broadhead. Estimating a slight loss in speed but a heavier broadhead and more efficient transfer of energy into the arrow, you might gain a few pounds of KE. Also, you might need to swap arrows since your arrow may no longer be properly spined for the heavier broadhead.

Unfortunately, you are going to have to go into the archery shop and shoot your arrow through the chronograph to get velocity.

What you are shooting is almost identical to what I shoot and it will kill Elk. More importantly, your broadhead is a cut on impact style which is good for larger thicker boned animals.

Good Luck

Top Bottom