Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

KMART

T

thegeneral

I must admit that I don't feel sorry for KMART today. I just read that they filed for bankruptcy this morning.

For those who don't know or remember, KMART choose Rosie O'donnell as their spokesman a few years ago, much to the dismay of sportsmen everywhere because of her outspoken views on guns and the NRA.

Sportmen responded and have continued to respond by boycotting KMART because of their choice to stand by Rosie. (Rosie adventually left KMART, but sportsmen didn't forget)

I don't know how much we had to do with KMART's demise, but I'd like to think we had a part of it.

Are you sure they're going bankrupt or are they getting protection in the event that they do go bankrupt? I was reading the same thing (over someone's shoulder) and didn't quite get it all read.

MW

Sorry General, but I am not in agreement with you. Granted I do not like Rossie's stance on these issues, but as far as I know I do not think K-Mart ever endorsed her opinions as it relates to these issues. In fact I believe all the stores around me continued to carry hunting supplies(unlike Target Stores)

I will not be directly affected by K-mart's demise, however I refuse to celebrate the loss of many thousands of jobs simply because Rossie and Penny did commercials for them.

There is no victory here except for maybe Target and Walmart

Just my Opinion

Also do not forget that Kmart was one of the first nationwide chains to pull their guns off the shelves after 9-11. They also decided to no longer carry handgun ammo (not p.c.) When a company hires someone with a pronounced view they are in effect supporting that view.

It is sad though that many people might loose their jobs due to the poor decisions of rich executives though!

Jamie

Kmart filed chapter 11 so they won't be closing the doors soon. However, there were a lot of factors involved in what's happened to them. Yes they did some stupid publicity stuff with Rosie and all that, but mainly they just got outcompeted by Wal-Mart.

The way I remember it is that KMart used Rosie O and she then wanted them to quit selling guns. KMart stuck with us and continued to sell guns and shells. I too feel bad for the employess that are losing sleep right now, wondering if they will have a job, regardless of what their employer's policies are.

I just thought I'd add some info on the subject.
In 1976:
Kmart had 1206 stores nationwide
Target had 52 stores nationwide
Walmart had 153 stores nationwide

In 2001:
Kmart has 2114 stores
Target has 978 stores
Walmart has 2114 stores

Can you see a problem with this? I can.

Not to mention Kmart is the only company out of the three listed then spends nearly 20% of their dollars on advertising. Guns and ammunition sales were so minimal that Kmart dropped the product line. Kmart filed chp 11 because of inventory and information systems, not because of sportsman.

BT

Top Bottom