Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Knife Build X2

Shovelbuck

The future owner of this pair of knives has requested a build along and although I won't be showing all processes, I'll post a few pics as things progress.
The knives are loosely patterned after late 18th and early 19th century trade knife blades. A good all around useful blade style.
Owner supplied antler handles.
I rough cut the blades with a plasma cutter from a 100 plus year old buzz saw blade. It's very good steel that has only gotten better with time.
After cutting, I hammer, grind, file and sand to get them to this stage. I now need to fit them to the handles and drill the tang holes for mounting.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
It seems like today's work was one step forward and two steps back. I knew there was a reason why I don't like using antler for handle material. Hard to keep things square with the world and get proper fits of all pieces.
But I'm at the point where it's time to re- harden the steel. Hopefully, I'll get that done in the next day or two, then start final assembly.

picture.php

No current updates due to I'm attempting to build my own "furnace" for hardening and tempering. It may take awhile. I'm tired of driving 40 miles to to the hot work when it should be done here.

After a couple days off while building a heat source for hardening blades, I got back after the project at hand today.
I like how things turned out. I gave the steel a lightly antiqued look and the sheaths are heavy leather. these should give many years of enjoyment.
All that's left to do is give the blades a good sharpening.

picture.php

Thanks guys:way: I've got to say, I'm usually not a fan of large blades but the way these feel in the hand, I may have to build myself one if I get the time.
For general camp chores, slicing meat, cutting veggies, etc. this style of blade will work very well. As for field dressing chores, there are much better blades suited to that task as a big blade isn't needed for that work.

picture.php

How, and out of what, did you build the heat source for them? I must say I'm intrigued

How, and out of what, did you build the heat source for them? I must say I'm intrigued
Amazing how good the burner from a turkey fryer and fire bricks to form an enclosure works!:way:

Last edited:
Top Bottom