Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Knife Sharpener Question

weber2

What knife sharpeners do you guys use/reccomend? I try and try to use a steel, but seem to do more harm than good. Anything would help: websites, names of products, what you use, etc...

Thanks

A knife edge is a series of little burrs of metal. As you use the knife, some of these burrs get bent out of line and the knife feels dull. A couple of quick strokes on a steel should line the burrs back up, so a steel is more of a touch up than a method of sharpening.

To sharpen a knife, I use Arkansas whetstones. I don't specifically use products from the website listed, just thought it does a good job of discussing the various grades of stones. Most of my Arkansas whetstones have been inherited from Grandfathers.

I had an Arkansas stone that worked great if I could find time to commit to sharpening. Since then I've found that it's much more cost effective to have my knives done by someone that has a paper wheel system. Lazy? Yeah, but I suddenly don't have the time anymore. Last time I had mine done on a paper wheel I had 4 fillet knives, 3 lock blades, 1 straight, 1 paring knife, 1 boning knife, 1 chefs knife, and two pairs of scissors done for under $30. Got them all back in a week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had an Arkansas stone that worked great if I could find time to commit to sharpening. </div></div>

Come on, Matt, you can't find two minutes?? That's all it takes to touch up a knife with a stone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rudd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where at Mud? </div></div>

There's a place in Coralville (Prairie Du Chein road) that does my knives. They use a paper wheel and a precision sander or something. I just looked in the phone book and cannot find their number at this point. I'll look for the number when I get home or else will hope I drive by the place and can get the number if you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had an Arkansas stone that worked great if I could find time to commit to sharpening. </div></div>

Come on, Matt, you can't find two minutes?? That's all it takes to touch up a knife with a stone. </div></div>

I will respectively disagree on the two minute factor. And right now I cannot find two minutes! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

actually, i have seen it done in less than two minutes....

it really takes no time at all..... however i have not learned how to do myself so it takes a little longer, but once i get schooled on how to do it, 2 minutes is nothing
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Maybe I get my knives duller than a normal guy or else I don't know how to work the stone properly? I am looking for a long term edge and not something that I have to touch up every time I use it. Oh well, don't fix what ain't broke!

one of my knives had gouges in it and a flat edge. My buddies dad spent maybe a minute on the rough stone, very hard and very fast, then washed it off, and put it on the steel. it was hair cutting sharp!

i gutted 3 deer with it, skinned, quartered and processed one full deer, AND skinned 5 heads for euro mounts before it dulled!

and, he also taught me the importance of stroping, amazing what a piece of leather can do!

all im saying mud, is it can be done, and i JUST learned that....

this guy worked at a packing plant for 10 years and knows a thing or two about blades.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Typical250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you euro mounting 115's again /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

you do what you gotta do

I use a number of different things.

A good stone to really get them sharp, then followed by a 'crock' porcelain knife sharpener. The porcelain is just a big 12in stick. Really puts a great edge on it.

If Im butchering something and I need a touch up while cutting I just use a steel.

Using a stone and steel takes practice to get the angles right, you will spend alot of time sharpening a knife until you get it right. Last year I had a guy sharpen my hunting knife on a paper wheel, cost me $3. The guy travels around my area hitting up restaunts once a month. I've field dressed 4 deer and it still split hair sharp.

I use the paper wheel method like Muddy. But I decided to buy my own instead of having someone else do them for me. I found a CHEAP bench grinder(home depot clearance-like $18). Next I waded through 100 websites selling the paper wheels. I think I paid $40 for the wheels. Let me tell you, I LOVE THIS SETUP!!! I can sharpen anything on this, including broadheads. Knives, razor blades, I don't even buy utility knife blades anymore. Buy a 6" grinder and buy 8" wheels for it. Here's a link to where I got my wheels...

Paperwheels.com

11-24-08003.jpg

That paper wheel set up is sweet. My art teacher in high school had one of those for those of us who did wood carvings. Zero to sharp in seconds, which is what I like.

Rudd - I had to look in last years phone book but found the place in Coralville, I'll call them today and see if they're still open. I HIGHLY recommend them.

Honed to Perfection - 319-337-6158

Hey Kansas

How hard is it to get the right angle when using those?
That looks like a heck of an idea and I've been trying to figure out the best way to sharpen knives and broadheads for a looong time.
thanks

Lambert, it's not that tough once you get the hang of it. If I could do it, anyone can!

Top Bottom