Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Knife?

ironwood

I recently traded my youngest son a knife I have carried for years, and loved, for a Buck folding knife. I am not happy with the size of the handle or length of the bladewith the buck folding knife. What are you using and why do you like it? One thing I miss is a hilt and long handle for those leverage opening of the rib cage.

I am shopping and want to know what you think.

I love my Marbles sheath knife that my wife got me for Christmas a few years back. I am fond of sheath knifes for field dressing. This one fits my hand wonderfully and holds an edge. It is extremly tough and you can't beat the feel of a stacked leather grip. Zips right through the rib cages but i use a zip saw for pelvic bones. I use a Grohman(sp)for skinning and bonning. Just my 2 cents.

The best knife i have ever used for gutting deer is a Kershaw with the gut hook. I can gut around 10 deer before it needs sharped!

Am I the only one who prefers a nice folding saw for the pelvic bone and the ribs? I have several knives that all do about the same quality of job. Buck knives, Gerber, Schrade, Rapala... I figure that if I can gut/skin 2 deer for every knife I own then I have really done a great job over the fall. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I am awaiting/dreading the day that I inherit my dad's buck knife, I think it's called "The Kalinga" or something like that.

I've said it before, but I like a long skinny blade knife that I can ream the bung free with (no need to split the pelvis) and I never cut open the ribs. Instead, I reach up inside the rib cage and cut the heart and lungs free (yes, I get bloody up to the elbows). I've seen too many people slip and cut themselves trying to bust ribs/pelvis, or break their knife hammering on it.

I carry a Schrade Muskrat skinner two blade folding pocket knife and use it from the field to the freezer. Though I did use my new Buck sheath knife for some boning work during early muzzle loader butchering, though.

I have the SOG Pup and love it, however we're in the process of moving and I can't find it for the life of me.

I have a small skinner that was made for me by a friend that makes custom knife's down in New Mexico that has been great for me.I also do not cut the pelvis or ribcage.It ruins the meat in that area and more chances of bone chips also getting in the meat.

i carry around a nice browning knife. Has a black blade around 4 inches with a wooden handle. Used it for skinning beaver and worked GREAT. very very sharp! dont know if ive had a better knife than the one i have

i'm a big fan of buck knives. guarenteed for life, sharp, hold an edge pretty well. i had a buck vanguard, LOVED that knife. lost it and just never got around to getting another. last year, at the cabelas in la vista grand opening, i got another buck the omni hunter. the pro line series of knives offer free sharpening, for life, just send the knife in, and pay shipping. that knife was sharp as HELL right out of the box. after deer season this year, it goes back for a new edge. i used to make fun of the guys that carried their little saw to cut the pelvic bone. but i finally gave in and bought one of those cheap "T" handled saws. i bought the shorter version, but i wish i had the longer one. short version just seems a little too short.

buck_knife_saw.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Am I the only one who prefers a nice folding saw for the pelvic bone and the ribs? </div></div>

i've had 2 gerber saws. first one had the blade that slid back into the handle. the other was the folder with a bone blade, and wood blade. those T handled saws are LOADS quicker, and easier to use. the gerber is in the back pack for tree limbs now

Mike, If I'm not using one of my own, I use a Gerber folder in a drop point version. I looked at Gerber's website and it appears they no longer offer the version I have. Gerber steel is hard to beat for edge holding.
Muddy, I don't use a saw for anything while field dressing. Find the seam and a pelvis or rib cage can be split quite easily. No hammering or prying involved.

Bought the Buck Alpha Fixed which has the gut hook. It is kind of spendy but it is by far the best knife I have ever owned and intend to use it for a very long time. Can't beat the warranty and it holds an edge. Big fan of the gut hook.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadowpeople</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bought the Buck Alpha Fixed which has the gut hook. It is kind of spendy but it is by far the best knife I have ever owned and intend to use it for a very long time. Can't beat the warranty and it holds an edge. Big fan of the gut hook. </div></div>

What he said /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shovelbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Gerber folder in a drop point version. I looked at Gerber's website and it appears they no longer offer the version I have. Gerber steel is hard to beat for edge holding.</div></div>

I love my Gerber. "Gator"?? I think? It is a brushed type steel and much easier to sharpen and hold an edge than any Buck knife I ever had or should I say "broke". :(The rubber grip handle is a must with the wet bloody hands. Also couldn't live without the Gerber saw for bones and limbs. For butchering I'm a fillet knife guy. I keep a 6" and a 10" and they are so easy to keep an edge on.

Schrade Old Timer.

Schrade went belly up and the name and styles were bought by another company. The new Schrades are not nearly as good as the old ones. I bought a new one for a back up at the Classic last March and it was junk. I was at a gun show a few months ago and found a new old Schrade so I bought it too. This is what the guy at the gun show told me. You can tell the difference between the old knife and the new.

The 'Bonker

hoofline.gif

For field dressing a deer I have carried this Buck Kalinga for years. Well made knife, and it fits my hand nicely.

c4fe_12.JPG

<span style="color: #000099">Would you like to become a PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; </span>Details Here!<span style="color: #000099">&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;</span>

hoofline.gif

I would second what Skully mentioned about a the Gerber's grip when bloody. I had one and went to a thinner bladed Buck knife (which I like the thinner blade). But it has the smooth black handle that looks nice, but is slicker than heck when bloody. My next knife will for sure have the rubber style grip.

I use a fillet knife- Does anybody else not gut a deer when processing them? My uncle taught me to skin-and bone out a deer without gutting it many moons ago. It works pretty slick- You can "pop" out all the quarters in about two seconds after skinning the deer- Get the straps and there's no mess. I was always told the time to get the rib meat isn't worth it- was I told wrong?

If you don't gut it out you are missing the inside tenderloins as well as other meat. Also, unless you are quartering int he field you won't get your meat cooled down nearly as fast.

Top Bottom