Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Knife?

Luke what you have discribed sounds like what I have heard of from many western hunters. I had the same question for them as bushman points out. What about the tender loins?

The knike I have used for years is Bowie style nearly 10 inches long and about half blade half handle. I could turn it over and pull open any rib cage in a couple of pulls. Plenty of handle for a two arm up and way pull. Zip, zip. Also plenty of length for the pelvis reaming. The large brass (I believe called the) hilt kept my hands where they belonged, on the handle.

I was looking at the Rant DPT but it may be out of production.

Unless its a buck that I am going to hang, I don't gut them either. I do the same, shoulders, loins and inner loins, and hams. I can get the inner loins out without gutting them. Takes a little practice, but it works real slick once you figure it out. Also, I don't hang a deer to skin it. On the tailgate (to me) it the easiest way.

As for knives, I have Gerbers, Bucks, Kershaws, Scharade (spelling?), and a Remington knife. The Remington is one of the top knives, and is pretty pricey, but will hold an edge through 10 deer, boned out. The Gerbers are ok, but once they loose their edge, they are a bugger to get razor sharp again.

I use an old Schrade folding knife that I have had since 1984, and I can't guess how many deer it has field dressed. For the last several years I have not split the pelvis and if it is a large deer I don't split the sternum either. All the stuff about CWD said not to saw or cut through bones so I haven't since I read that. I hang the deer by the back legs after field dressing to let it cool out and if I can get to process it in a day or so I will skin it while it is still warm. I bone everything right there as the carcuss hangs there and don't cut legs or even the neck off anymore. If you are carful everything holds together as a skelton except fot the front legs, which I remove and bone seperatly. Then the whole skelton goes in to the ditch outback of the garage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I can get the inner loins out without gutting them. Takes a little practice, but it works real slick once you figure it out.</div></div>

yep!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you get them out? </div></div>

I'd be interested in seeing that as well. Avoid the guts? Hell yeah.

It is slick- I like it because it keeps the meat extremely clean- if I or nannyslayer put one down, I will offer a free demonstration.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

i use a buck knife with attached gut hook. but i perfer to use a small camp style pack axe for the pelvis bone and ribcage. sometimes not the cleanest thing but only take 4-5 wacks and your done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skully</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shovelbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Gerber folder in a drop point version. I looked at Gerber's website and it appears they no longer offer the version I have. Gerber steel is hard to beat for edge holding.</div></div>

I love my Gerber. "Gator"?? I think? It is a brushed type steel and much easier to sharpen and hold an edge than any Buck knife I ever had or should I say "broke". :(The rubber grip handle is a must with the wet bloody hands. Also couldn't live without the Gerber saw for bones and limbs. For butchering I'm a fillet knife guy. I keep a 6" and a 10" and they are so easy to keep an edge on. </div></div>

Skully, I agree with you 100%!!
The Gerber gator is a really tough knife to beat when it comes to field chores. I have tried alot of knifes over the years and nothing has ever come close to this knife.

119 Special

This is the knife I went with and I will never go back to a smaller one. This looks like a great value to me and only time will really tell but I would say worth looking at. It felt great with my last buck harvest.

My next knife will be small and it will have a gut hook. Now which one? That is the question TBD.

who makes a good caping knife. use my buck for gutting ,but seems to be hard to handle when caping .

I used my BUCK omni hunter with the shorter 3 1/4" blade both for gutting and caping this year and it has worked well. Seems to have a nice grip to it. GOOD LUCK!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">who makes a good caping knife. use my buck for gutting ,but seems to be hard to handle when caping . </div></div>

I caped my buck with this knife and like it there as well. Me and the shorter knives just don't seem to get along.

I have never like gut hooks either. Just goes to show ya that it is all a matter of preference.

Top Bottom