Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

knight 45cal muzzleloader

buckinrut

Life Member
First I've got to say I love this sight, can't wait for the 1st of October.

I just purchased a knight super disc 45cal and am wondering what I need to do before shooting this gun. I have never shot a muzzleloader and would like any information I can get on what I need to shot this gun. It came with some sabot bullets and some orange discs. I live in Des Moines and use the internet to buy a lot of hunting supplies. I bought this gun off gunbroker and even though the gun is new it did not come with an owners manaul, but did come with a video tape. Is there a good place in Des Moines or on the internet to buy powder pallets, bullets, primers, and cleaning supplies? Those of you who hunt with a muzzleloader do you recommend open sights, red dot, or a scope?

Thanks and happy hunting.

Well, first you mat want to clean the gun thoroughly.They usually ship them all greased up and tell you to clean the packing grease out before shooting them.The best way to work up a load for your gun is to play around with some different bullets and loads of powder and find the one that gets the best groups for your gun.I like the Hornady XTP 240 grain sabots and Ive heard a lot of good things about the power belts also.To tell you the truth Wallmarts prices are about as good on muzzleloading stuff as anywhere else Ive been.I have a scope on mine but thats just a personal preferance.Most of your shots should be relatively short range so if your more comfortable with open sights theres no reason not to use them.Good luck and have fun sighting it in
smile.gif

240 XTP NOT AVAILABLE IN 45 CAL. TRY 180 RED HOTS BY KNIGHT, 180 XTP BY TC. THE BEST ARE BY FAR THE MOST USER FRIENDLY---WAY LESS BARREL PLASTIC FOWLING ON THE RANGE. LOOK AT THE BACK PAGE OF THE KNIGHT 2002 CATALOGE FOR BALLISTIC STATISTICS, THEY ARE AWESOME FOR THE HEAVY BULLET. TRY POWERBELTS IN .45 CAL IN225 GR OR275 GRAIN. I SHOOT THE SAME GUN AND HAVE TRIED ALL THESE ROUNDS , SEE WHAT WORKS IN YOUR GUN...HINT USE 100 GRAINS CLEANSHOT POWDER,225 POWERBELT AND USE A QUALITY NIKON SCOPE. GOOD LUCK M350 OUT

Hi buckinrut,horst pretty well sums it up.find what shoots out of your gun and go with it.i have the same gun you do,mine likes the power belts blue ballistic tip not sure what grain,fully loaded with pellets it shoots 3 to 4 inch groups at 200yds.make sure when you are hunting to keep the gun from condensating,keep it out in the barn or in back of truck,dont let it go from cold to warm.i would also suggest if you hunt with it a couple three days just change the pellets out,push them out the breech and replace with new ones.i almost learned the hard way last year i hunted hard for the monster for two strait weeks after christmas last year,almost had a shot at him on the last couple of days,needless to say i never pulled the trigger. but when the season ended,i went to shoot the gun of and it didnt go off.i know change my pellets often!if you are after a certain big buck this late season is the time to get it done. knight has also come out with a new bolt change over system which would turn your gun into the extreme version,supposedly this version can be put under water and it will still fire, i think its 69 bucks.if you ever need something you cant find just head down to centerville where they have there showroom and they will have it, i dont think they carry power belts there though. anyway good hunting and dont peek because all your going to see is smoke! seeya tim

You picked out a super gun. I own a 50 cal knight disc and it's a tack driver. I have been using Hornaday 240 but am trying several different brands and weights right now mostly out of curiousity. I am not that familiar with the 45 cal, but you should keep in mind the bullet dia. has to be .44 or bigger I believe for deer in Iowa. Also when you are sighting it in, make sure to run a swab thru the barrel after each shot or your gonna wonder why your holes are all over the target. After all, when your out in the field and line up on the big one you will be shooting a clean gun. Good luck and shoot straight....................

MUZZLELOADING RIFLES-DEER SEASON ONLY- FLINTLOCK OR PERCUSSION CAP MUZZLELOADING RIFLES OR MUSKETS BETWEEN .44 AND .775 CALIBER, SHOOTING SINGLE PROJECTILES ARE LEGAL DURING ALL IOWADEER SEASONS EXCEPT BOW SEASON...........
PAGE 5 OF THIS FALLS IOWA HUNTING REGULATION BOOKLET.
A DISK 45 SHOOTS A 9MM OR 357 BULLET FOR THE MOST PART WITH A SABOT JACKET TO FILL THE VIOD.

Hi guys, I also have a question on this subject.How much powder are you using.I bought a 50 cal. disc this past spring and have not fired yet. Thanks and good hunting ,mottspur.

hey mootspur, The disc is made to shoot "3" 50 gr pellets and thats what I have always used in mine and always have consistant groups. But because no 2 hunters are the same you would be best to experiment around with different loads and bullets. If you decide to shoot 150 gr of powder and say a 240 or 260 gr sabot it will be a little bucky. So you will want give yourself plenty of eye relief if you decide to scope it or you will end up with a black eye and a little scar just like me. (ouch)
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

i have the same gun and have been trying everything to get it to shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards. i finally got it! 120 grains of hodgon triple 7[fffg]-215 grain polymer tipped precision
rifle bullet with either the brown or tan sabot. here is the rutine to make it shoot like a bench gun. clean it with any type of solvent you want. with t-7 you can use anything. after its clean load it and shoot it 1 time to foul the barrel. with t-7 you can leave it sit for weeks since its non-corrosive. run a spit patch down and out. load it. your next 2-3 will be same hole shots. t-7 makes pyrodex obsolete. any body who tries it won't EVER go back to pyrodex.good huntin'!
rudy

Top Bottom