Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Knight Long Range Hunter

tbyars

Looking at getting a new muzzy and have seen where some others have posted that they really like it. I have an older Knight and now that they are in business again I am looking at stepping up to a Long Range Hunter. If anyone that has one of these, plese post what your likes and idslikes are about it and how they shoot for you.
Thanks,
Tim

My brother has one. It's a few years old. This year he took the scope off, why, I don't know. He put the scope back on and we went to the range to sight it in. He's using 150 gr of 777 and some Harvester 300 grain bullets. It took 5 shots at 100 yards to sight in. Shots 3,4 and 5 were close enough that my pinky finger covered half of each hole. I was amazed.

Those guns just flat out shoot! However, for ease of access and cleaning purposes, I prefer a break action or something of that style. I don't know if the bolt action helps make it more accurate though? I'm not sure. Can't go wrong with a Knight though.

Great shooting gun but prefer the break action style as well for cleaning purposes. When you can shoot your gun 25 times and have everything from the breech plug back be clean it would be tough to go back to the old knight disc action. The leehigh conversion may prevent the massive blowback though.

Gotta agree with the above. I currently own a knight, although not the long range hunter. Knight makes great guns, but they really need to keep up with the competition and make great guns that are also easy to take apart and clean. That is the one area where knight suffers compared to many of the others. My next smoke pole won't be a knight due to this reason only.

A friend of mine has one and he can shoot sub MOA groups at 100 and 200 yards with red hot sabots (250 grains) and 777. Best shooting muzzleloader I have personally seen. May take a little longer to clean but who cares when your looking at your monster buck that you took at 200 yards. I don't think you could go wrong with the Knight Long Range Hunter from what I have seen and heard about them.

Thanks for all the input!! I too am not worried about the cleaning time as the number one priority I want is a very accurate ML and from what I have gathered and researched I like what I hear about this ML a lot!

Sold my Knight last year, the Knight was a great shooter but took a lot of time to clean. I wanted to switch to Blackhorn powder so I bought a Traditions.

Break open, very easy to clean and no issues with the way it shoots, took about 5 shots to sight in and about 10 min. to clean.

I could not feel better about this purchase.

tbyars - Have you looked into the CVA accura v2? I have not used or seen one personally, but from the research I have done they have absolutely amazing accuracy right out of the box. Supposedly, the Bergara barrels that they are being matched with are outstanding. Like I said though, this is from researching the net, not firsthand experience.
Good luck!

I have owned the Knight Long Range Hunter for three years now. I own several muzzleloaders but the LRH is an extremely accurate gun. I use 115 grains of blackhorn 209 powder. I really dont think the gun is that much more difficult to clean than my break-open style guns. It is a little heavy if you are carrying it a long ways, but for sitting on stand it is my go to gun. Sub 4" groups at 200 yards is not difficult. I would recommend it to anyone.

All there is to cleaning a Knight is unscrew the breach plug. How hard is that? It only takes me 15 to 20 min tops to clean mine. And the LRH will be my next muzz!

Blaster, I think you are missing a couple of steps in there. Knights require taking the barrel off of the stock (you may be able to leave it on, but will likely fill your trigger with cleaning solution), then take out the firing pin mechanism (which may or may not require removal of the trigger as well and then remove the breech plug. Other break action gun only require you to break the gun, pull out the breech plug and you are wide open to the barrel. I will say again, I love knight rifles, they make great guns, but I still think they need to come up with a more hassle-free way to take their guns apart.

BTW, Kind of jealous of the deer in your avatar, makes mine look like a baby!

I only take the gun of the stock once a year to oil the back side of the barrel and clean and oil the trigger and the bolt pull out real easy by pulling back on a pin. I guess i think its easy!;) That buck looks real nice on my wall too! Thanks!:D

Last edited:
I love the accuracy of my Knight and have not even considered changing for that fact alone. A bit more of a pain to clean for sure, but pour yourself a cold beverage of choice, turn on Sportscenter, and you'll hardly even notice :drink2:

NWBuck

I have the accura V2. So far it has been the best muzzleoader I have owned by far but all I ever have owned was a knight Wolverine and Knight Disc extreme to compare it to.

Blaster,

I think what everyone refers to as being dirty on a disc extreme is everything back from the breech plug is dirty. That area where the disc sits was always a bear to get clean.The bolt gets dirty. The firing pin itself gets bad and you have to take apart the bolt. The trigger assembly gets dirty. The under side of the scope gets dirty. You have to use breech plug grease otherwise you aren't getting it out.

With the new guns nothing but the barrel is dirty and no more breech plug grease.

Last edited:
Top Bottom